Chapter 23

For Karlie, the summer drifts slowly and rushes by simultaneously. The exchange of messages with Taylor has evolved swiftly, transcending brief texts and casual check-ins to lengthy conversations, FaceTime calls, and the regular exchange of good morning and goodnight texts. In the course of their communication, the lines between friendship and something more have blurred, a playful flirtation has become a common language between them. While the nature of their connection remains unspoken, it's undeniable that they've slipped back into their old rhythm, a deep, intimate bond obvious to both girls. The air between them is charged with light banter, their discussions delve into profound, and at times, sexual territories, and a quiet openness lingers in their hearts. As the conclusion of Taylor's European leg draws near, Karlie finds herself eagerly anticipating Taylor's return to New York, a city that seems to hold the promise of their future together.

As Karlie is settling into the backseat of a Tahoe, heading to the Upper East Side for dinner, she feels her phone buzz in her bag. She pulls it out to see an incoming FaceTime call from Taylor. She quickly swipes right, accepting the call.

"Hey, Tay," she says enthusiastically with a bright smile, as Taylor's face fills the screen. She appears to be in bed, wearing a hotel robe, her hair wrapped up in a white towel from her post-show shower.

"Happy birthday!" the blonde excitedly yelps

"Thank you, Tay," Karlie laughs, "But it's only," she pauses to check the time on her watch, "6 o'clock. On the dot. It's still the 2nd."

"Well," Taylor begins, before reaching for a glass of wine on the bedside table and taking a generous sip, "It's midnight in Poland. So, it's your birthday here, and I wanted to be the first to wish you a happy one. I have a good feeling about this year, Kar," she says with a smirk before taking another sip of wine, "And I have decided the celebration has officially begun! Why limit the festivities to one time zone?" she finishes as her eyes sparkle mischievously.

Karlie laughs, feeling warmth spread through her at Taylor's thoughtfulness. "You've got a point there," she concedes. "So, what's the plan for my international birthday celebration?"

Taylor chuckles, adjusting the towel on her head, "I was thinking we could kick it off with a virtual toast. Do you have anything to drink in the car? Wait, where are you going anyway?

Karlie quickly glances around the vehicle, grabbing a bottle of sparkling water in the passenger seat's back pocket, "To dinner with Derek and Nick, couple of other people, too," she explains before lifting the bottle into view, "Alright, Taylor Swift. Toast me."

Taylor raises her glass of wine to the screen, offering a playful salute. "To the one and only Karlie Kloss, the birthday queen! May your year be filled with love, laughter, and all the incredible adventures the world has to offer. You deserve it all."

Karlie clinks her bottle against the screen with a smile. "Cheers, Tay," she says gently, her heart feeling as though it could explode in her chest from the simple words.

They both take a symbolic sip, and Taylor adds, "Okay, now for the real surprise. Close your eyes."

Karlie raises an eyebrow but plays along, shutting her eyes as instructed. She hears Taylor shuffling around, then feels the familiar warmth of a guitar strum.

"Open your eyes," Taylor says, revealing herself with a guitar in hand. "I think 'Happy Birthday' is in order."

Karlie's heart swells with gratitude as Taylor serenades her with a heartfelt rendition of "Happy Birthday." Though the impromptu performance is filled with laughter, and post-concert, off-key notes, to Karlie it is the most beautiful sound.