Chapter 18

"Mama," Karlie hears, shooting her out of her deep slumber in a flash. She slowly blinks her eyes, adjusting to her surroundings. She sees Levi standing in front of the couch, observing her inquisitively. She then feels the body heat and pressure against her side, Taylor tucked in tightly next to her.

"Hey," she says groggily, beginning to sit up. Taylor groans, clearly not thrilled about having been awoken by Karlie's movement, "Good morning, buddy, did you sleep okay?" she asks her son.

"Why you snuggle Taya?" the little boy asks, his brows scrunched.

"We just fell asleep watching a movie, are you hungry?" she asks, taking a look at the clock. 6:23 am. "Want breakfast?" Karlie asks, trying to stop the toddler in his tracks from the barrage of questions she knows are floating through his little mind.

To her side, Taylor lets out a sigh before scooching up, her back slumped against the couch, head dropping to Karlie's shoulder. "Morning," she grumbles, rubbing her eyes.

Karlie can't help but to giggle at how similar Taylor looks to her equally tired son, both extraordinarily grumpy at that time of the day.

"Good morning," Karlie responds with a soft smile, "Sorry for the early wake-up call, we don't sleep in much around here, huh Le?"

He nods his head in agreement, rubbing his own tired eyes, "Taya stay for breakfast?" he asks softly.

Karlie glances in Taylor's direction, her expression blank, unreadable, "That's up to Taylor, buddy."

"Can you stay, Taya? Play songs on piano?"

Taylor looks from Karlie to Levi, before responding hesitantly, "I, um, I'm sorry. I can't," she says, her eyes locking on Karlie. "I didn't mean to fall asleep here. I need to go home and feed the cats."

Karlie looks back at her and nods, before clearing her throat, "I texted your security when I woke up last night and asked them to take care of them. I, um, I hope that's okay?" she says, now questioning her own actions, "I just knew you would feel bad for them in the morning and, I don't know, I just felt like if I could fix it, I should."

Taylor smiles at her meekly, "Thank you, Kar," she whispers, "I really do appreciate you doing that," she says squeezing the model's thigh under the blanket, "But I should still go. I'm having brunch with Blake in a couple of hours and I could use a shower," she says with a small laugh. Karlie immediately registers the tone of her voice, the nervous flexing of fingers, the diverted eye contact. From the many years of knowing the blonde intricately, she can still read her like a book. And she is lying.

In a prior time, Karlie would have pushed back, attempted to understand what was going through Taylor's mind. But now, she just swallows and nods her head, "Okay," she whispers, "Tell Blake I said hi. I miss her."

Taylor shoots her a closed-mouth smile before standing from the couch and making her way to the bathroom.

"Taya sad Mama?" the always observant Levi asks, a concerned expression on his face.

"No, babe, she's okay," Karlie sighs, "Just tired. Hey, let's go upstairs and get your brother up, okay?"

When Karlie returns downstairs a few minutes later, she sees the blanket has been placed neatly on the back of the couch, and the coffee table where the empty wine bottle and glasses had been left from the previous night is now empty. She glances around the room, noting the absence of Taylor and the subtle traces of their shared evening. As she moves towards the kitchen, she catches the sight of her phone on the counter, the screen lit up with a notification.

Opening the message from Taylor, Karlie's eyes scan the words –

TS: Thank you for last night. Sorry for leaving without saying bye, it's just... complicated. Let's talk soon, okay?