Chapter 5.1 (The Apprentices)

When Rizelle entered the kitchen, having been led there by Aster, Ayris was adding cheese to an omelette.

"Well, look at that. The most notorious assassin of the time does her own cooking!" Rizelle said, leaning against the doorframe, trying to appear casual.

Ayris pulled a bowl toward her, from a corner of the countertop. "You won't believe it, but it was part of my training; I had to do all the cooking for my mentor." She carried it to the diner against the nearby wall, and gestured for Rizelle to eat - it was a bland, oatmeal porridge.

She obeyed, too hungry to complain about the lack of taste. "So, will I be expected to do the same?"

By appearances, it was difficult to believe what Ayris was. She seemed so...normal, and actually kind and caring. Rizelle knew she should deem it all an act, yet something told her it wasn't. Don't be ridiculous. She's dangerous. But, despite her thoughts, she didn't feel threatened.

The assassin returned to her omelette, chuckling. "Considering the thoughts I often entertained of poisoning her, I don't think so."

"Was she that bad?"

"Look at the way I turned out; she was excellent. But at the time, I didn't think so."

"And why is that?"

Ayris flashed a mischievous grin at her. "Oh, you'll see."

Rizelle thought for a moment, then narrowed her eyes in suspicion. "Are you trying to dissuade me?"

"Yes, of course," she replied, smirking. "I'm surprised you haven't tried to run away yet, Rizelle."

The sudden reminder turned her morsel to lead as she swallowed it. How does she know my name? Belatedly, she now reflected on this.

Is she working with my Bane?

No, she can't be, she assured herself. Or I would have been handed over to him already.

Being an assassin, Ayris likely had ways to discover things, Rizelle realised. But how much did she find out?

"Don't be surprised. I've seen the posters of you." The assassin must have guessed her line of thought.

"But how could you be so sure? It could be anyone of that description, and the drawing was not accurate."

Ayris brought her plate of food to the table and sat across from Rizelle. "I keep an eye on my rivals, and I know Ohjunn is out for you. I even witnessed one of your escapes from him. He tries to capture and enslave any wanted person who catches his eye, so it wasn't difficult to deduce your identity." Her eyes sharpened with scrutiny. "At least, part of it. Would you mind telling me your full name?"

Rizelle tensed. "Well, that answers my questions about him," she said carefully. "Uhh...and I do mind, actually."

To her relief, the assassin shrugged nonchalantly.

She hurried to change the subject. "So, Ohjunn's reason for wanting me to be his 'apprentice' is that I'm a wanted criminal, but what's yours?"

"Other than feeling pity for you? That wasn't a lie, by the way." Ayris smiled. "I was impressed by some of your skills, especially in your escape from Ohjunn - a feat not many could have managed. And he seems particularly determined to get you; I'll wager it's because you keep evading him - that's a dent to his pride."

As she drained her bowl, Rizelle shifted uneasily on the wooden bench. She had an aversion to being pitied. "Do you know who poisoned the roll, and how?"

Ayris nodded. "Remember the man who bumped into you? He might have been working for Ohjunn."

She had been watching then? But how could he have poisoned it, though? He couldn't have known which roll she'd steal, or if she would steal one at all. Unless he poisoned them all, regardless of collateral. Or was she collateral, and someone else the intended target?

"I know you have a lot to ask about where you are, how I saved you, and probably above all, how your apprenticeship is going to work," Ayris said as she stood up. "But right now, I have work to do. Be assured, I will keep nothing important from you without good reason. Now, I suggest you get back to bed. I have no wish to carry you there."

She's insufferable! "Did you drug me again?" she exclaimed incredulously.

"A weaker dose this time, but yes. When you wake up again, you should be well enough not to sleep all the time."

"I only have to sleep all the time," Rizelle grumbled, "because you keep drugging me."

Ignoring that, the assassin accompanied her to her bedroom, then turned to leave. Rizelle opened her door, then, on impulse, looked over her shoulder. "Ayris?" The name seemed to stick in her throat.

Ayris paused, watching her expectantly.

"I've never thought I would ever say this to you, of all people, but... Thank you."

The assassin beamed. "Don't mention it."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As always, thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed it!