Chapter 3.2 (Slip of the Eye)

The next afternoon, Rizelle relaxed alone in the attic, a book open on her lap. But her eyes were only roving over the words without really seeing them.

I can't believe he's found me again. The Bane of my existence. After everything I've done and sacrificed to escape him.

She jumped at the scrape of the trapdoor opening. But it was just Nemma. Rizelle almost sighed in relief, until she saw her friend's expression. "Hey, what's wrong?"

Nemma's eyebrows were slightly crinkled; her eyes were taut; and she kept rubbing her thumbs over her fingers. She shut the trapdoor and scurried over to stand next to Rizelle. She fumbled to draw a crumpled paper from her pocket, and straightened it over her knee. Then she shoved it at Rizelle.

Rizelle read it in hushed tones with growing dread. "'Wanted for murder: sixteen-year-old woman Rizelle. Description: long black hair, green eyes, thin, and of medium height. If sighted, please report to—'"

"This is hanging all over the city," Nemma cut in. "And, before yesterday, it wasn't."

Rizelle was numb. At least it's only my appearance giving me away. She groped for comfort, for any positive thoughts about her situation – not that there were many – because if she didn't, she would fall into a pit of despair.

Thankfully, her Bane couldn't put her full name on those posters, nor an accurate rendering, because she was still considered a noble, so any problems should legally be dealt with in the Court of Nobles, not privately. Good to know that Mother hasn't disowned me yet. If she had, her noble's status would have been revoked. And her Bane would have no such inhibitions.

"This drawing here, it's not exact but... It's you, isn't it?" Nemma whispered, and Rizelle returned her focus to her. "Your real name is Rizelle."

Rizelle nodded. "But I didn't lie. Virese is my second name."

Nemma's eyes widened. Only the highest ranks of nobles had second names.

In Tharaled, names were crucial in designating classes to people. Those of the lowest class (the slum class, as it had been named) - the unskilled and unemployed, as well as slaves - had only one name, and no surname. The working class had surnames decided by their trades, and so did the professional class, with the difference that they had the title 'Master'. Nobles were named and titled according to the lands they owned, and those of higher ranks, with larger, more important lands had two first names - so in Rizelle's case, her full name was Lady Rizelle Virese Rivennland.

Thus, the fact that only her first name was on the placards was advantageous because people would presume she was slum-class, consequently dismissing her as a suspect.

Rizelle continued, "And about the murder, it's a lie."

Nemma pulled her to her feet and crushed her with a hug. "As if I ever doubted that!" She drew back, looking Rizelle in the eye. "And if you think I'm angry that you didn't tell me, I'm not. I'm just worried one of the others is going to make the same connections I did."

"And they would easily turn me in for money."

Nemma pressed her lips into a thin, grim line. "Which is why I am going to plan your escape, in case that happens."