47 - Doubt

Ivy saw the light at the end of the tunnel. There were more tunnels ahead, but as she walked to her last day of classes before final exams, she felt a tremendous relief. The snow had been falling lightly since they woke. Both she and Baxter sat quietly and watched it fall with coffee cups in their hands.

Baxter was the first to break the silence. "Snow always reminds me of our time in Aspen."

Weighing heavily on him was his family's Christmas tradition in Aspen. He said little about it, but Ivy knew him. He masked his burden with excitement over the new house.

Ivy pinched herself with her gloved hand. It was something she did often to remind herself she wasn't dreaming. Her prince loved her and they were meeting with a designer to discuss furnishings for their future castle.

Baxter hadn't told his family he was purchasing a home. It was one more obstacle that they would need to hurdle. The meeting with her parents had gone well enough. Baxter looked less important wearing jeans and carrying a pan of Pad Thai they made in the Walnut Street kitchen. Ivy had been reluctant, but he promised it would be fine. As it turned out, they hadn't seen a single family member. She had tea with the famous Mrs. Moran while Baxter cooked. At least, the Kanes' help liked her. She enjoyed meeting them. Percy was the antithesis of Charles.

Ivy smiled as she stepped into the building and wiped her feet on the mat. Ellen was still skeptical, but Baxter had impressed Carl Krasinski.

As she turned into the lecture hall, Tyler barreled into her. "Watch where you're going!"

Ivy froze to let him push past her. Never seeing Tyler again would be too soon. She had learned not to mention him to Baxter or Jimmy. When she took time to get ready for class, she smiled and conceded with a strong response. "Sorry Tyler. Please go ahead."

He didn't turn back and Ivy was just as happy to sit down after him in front so he couldn't snap her picture.

After her second class, her older friend with kids asked if she wanted to study together. "I have two hours before I need to head home for the bus."

Ivy agreed and followed her into the cold to the popular coffee bar near campus. Ivy found a table in the corner while her friend stood in line. After dropping her bag, she joined her classmate. With a traditional coffee in her hand, Ivy sat down and pulled out her notes.

"So you're done?"

Ivy smiled. "After six and a half years. What about you?"

"I have another semester. It's taking me four years, and it hasn't been easy."

"I can imagine. What are your plans for after school?"

"Not a trillion hours like you." Ivy wondered what she was getting herself into. "My father has a practice in our town. It's general law, but I can work the hours I need."

"That sounds nice."

"It's been my dream forever, but marriage and kids got in the way."

"Financial constraints got in my way."

Christina smiled. "You won't have those problems anymore."

Ivy shook her head and couldn't believe she would never worry about paying her credit card bill between her new salary and Baxter paying for all their expenses, she could pay off her loans and buy work clothes.

"I would love him even if he was poor."

"It's easy to see it's mutual."

Ivy blushed. "Let's study."

The review had reassured Ivy. The material interested her more than her friend. "I only took these because my father has represented some clients with labor injustices."