24 - Cost of living

Tate had woken earlier and returned to her apartment without asking about Jimmy and Ivy's visit. It was just as well because other than talking about the sundaes the rest was off limits. If only Baxter's mind wouldn't trespass, but its favorite street was memory lane. His senses lived there as he could still smell her perfume on his tee shirt and her taste on his tongue. She had returned his kiss like they were still in Aspen.

Baxter wandered around the sprawling house on Sunday afternoon. Bypassing his office, he didn't care to work. The one thing he wanted to do he couldn't. She wouldn't welcome him, if he knocked on her door. Growing up, he had everything he wanted. Maybe he only wanted her because he couldn't have her. He shook his head because his heart didn't get the memo.

The more he was told who he had to marry, the more he wanted her. Baxter wasn't stupid enough to run off to Vegas with a girl he only spent a weekend with, but he was smart enough not to settle for a Priscilla when he could have Ivy. Physical love was damn important, and it sizzled with Ivy. Maybe there wasn't anything more, but then he thought about their work together on the union negotiation.

All the adults from his childhood acted like his parents, but with lower expectations. Mrs. Moran might expect him to whisk correctly, but she didn't care about the outcome of union negotiations or the right woman on his arm. He would bet a grand her definition of what kind of woman was right for him wasn't his mother's ideals.

When Baxter wandered into the kitchen, Mrs. Moran studied his face. "Do I have something on my face?"

"A sad look. You look about twelve again."

"I'll take a twelve-year-old's problems over my own."

"And your dessert didn't solve them?"

He smirked. "You saw that." He hadn't taken the time to leave the kitchen the way he found it.

"I saw three bowls and am wondering who you entertained in my kitchen."

He smirked. "You are not. There is no way Percy didn't tell you."

"Fine. Your old friend and his girl. Why the long face?"

"Because I can't live my life the way I want."

She handed him vegetables, and he chopped them while she listened. He told her about not being attracted to Priscilla. "My mother wants me to marry a woman I don't love. She's more interested in what her father owns."

"Not sports stores."

"Lord, no. A conglomerate or brokerage house. I'd rather marry a postman's daughter."

"The correct term is letter carrier. A non-passionate marriage can work, but maybe you'll find passion with a wealthy man's daughter."

"Maybe."

"What's really got you down?"

"I want to choose my own dates. I wish my mother would understand."

Mrs. Moran's hand stopped midair. "Do you really think she doesn't?"

"Why would she?"

"She was Tate's age when she married an older man. If you think your grandparents weren't involved, you are mistaken. Your Kane grandparents wanted their son married to produce the next generation. They weren't concerned with love."

His chin fell slack. "But... but..."

"Don't let your mother hear you." She winked. Amelia didn't like 'but' or 'um'.

He cleared his throat. "My parents love each other. They have four children."

She nodded. "They do love and respect each other, but think about how often you've seen them hugging."