15 - Date night

Baxter had a rough week. His father was pressuring, but the union was unhappy with their negotiations. He had room to give, but wasn't ready for concessions. Baxter Kane didn't blink first. It wasn't a good sign when he felt too exhausted to go out on Saturday night. If he could come up with a decent excuse, he would.

Priscilla wanted them to go out with her work friends. It was code for I want to show you off. The last thing he wanted to do was be on display like some great catch. He would rather watch the ballgame alone. "Go out with your friends. I've had an insane week."

Every week was insane. None were like the one he couldn't forget. Snowbound after his sister's wedding blew up and a deal almost slipped through his fingers. Her voice shook him out of the past.

"Let's stay in. Either house is big enough for some privacy."

Baxter wondered what privacy meant. "Okay. Come over. We'll have dinner."

He would cook for her. His parents were having dinner out with friends. The house was never empty, but they could have a quiet dinner while someone else cleaned up.

With his sleeves rolled up, Baxter went to work scrubbing potatoes. Mrs. Moran sat in a chair watching him. "I can help you."

"I'm quite capable."

She smirked. "I know. I taught you."

He set the potatoes in the oven and seasoned the steak. He would wait to grill it.

"Do you like this young woman?"

"She's kind and pretty."

"Pfft. Kind and pretty is what you say about your sister."

"Which one?" He winked.

"Growing up, it was a toss up."

Tate was always outwardly kinder than Doyle. His youngest sister held a lot inside. As if telepathic, she appeared.

"Are you home tonight?" Baxter hoped she wasn't.

"Why are you cooking?"

"He has a date," Mrs. Moran answered.

"Are you planning your seduction? Remember Percy is a ninja. No corner of this house is safe. Believe me, I know."

"I'm not planning anything."

"In that case, I'm sticking around."

"Where's your rock star?"

"Touring Europe. Dad wouldn't let me fly over for the weekend. I'm breaking up with him before he cheats."

Baxter wouldn't talk her out of it. "Don't you have something to do?"

She shrugged. "I could go to Tate's. Dani and her friend, Ivy, are trying on gowns for the party."

"Ivy's going to the party."

"Chill. What's the big deal?"

"She's an employee now."

"So Dani has always been."

He sounded irrational. "She's an intern."

"Don't be a prick. She's Tate's best friend."

Baxter didn't want Ivy to know about Priscilla. Tate had shopped for gowns with Priscilla. She kept saying, "Wait until you see what I'm wearing."

He doubted Priscilla would choose a dress which made her look nude like Tate had worn to the Emmys with Duncan. It was easier when his sisters were little girls.

Chopping vegetables, he said, "You can eat inside. We're eating on the patio."

"Fine. I know when I'm not wanted. Do you want a drink?"