18 - Feedback

Baxter loved the buzz in the house. His mother was in her element, glowing amid caterers and decorators. He stayed out of the way, by going for a sail with his father and brother. Let the women spend the afternoon with stylists. He could shower and dress in his tuxedo in thirty minutes.

His mother's summer party was the event of the season, and for once Baxter would have a date on his arm. His mind wandered back to the scene in his office. A few things left him unsettled. For the first time in three years, his trust for Danielle had wavered, but not because she left work. Why had she suggested Ivy? He hired Danielle as a young graduate with a degree in business. He had just made his move to the twentieth floor and didn't want an experienced assistant to tell him what to do. Within weeks, she proved herself loyal when reporters started sniffing around during Kasper's first trip to the island. She blocked the press like a linebacker. He should have known she would suspect when he spent time in Aspen with Ivy. He doubted she suspected anything close to the truth.

It would have been so easy to advise Ivy not to attend the party. Maybe he wanted to punish himself or he wanted to see her in a gown, either way she had a better chance of arousing him than the woman he was dating. He had never been aroused in the office until he foolishly agreed to hire the legal intern. Except her insight was invaluable. She saw clarity in ways he couldn't. He had no experience in the struggles the working class faced. If it made him a snob, he would accept the label. It took all his power not to capture her mouth in an unforgettable kiss when he pinned her behind his door. Priscilla was the only thing that stopped him. It should have been their location or his position, but he had very little impulse control around the fiery blonde.

Priscilla arrived looking like a runway model in her amethyst designer gown. Baxter's skin tone had gotten darker after an afternoon sail, while she looked paler and thinner. He wondered if she ate when no one was looking. Would she eat whipped cream? Just the thought was a betrayal to the memory.

She kissed his lips and he willed a stirring down below. If he hadn't been so hard staring down Ivy, he might have been worried about a medical condition. Not really, he woke with a boner in his empty bed every morning.

"You look very handsome." She reached up and tugged on his tie.

"You look beautiful." She definitely was although she looked like she should be on the runway with straight lines instead of alluring curves. Priscilla knew how to stand by his side. She smiled and nodded while he discussed the rumbles of another interest rate hike with an investment banker.

As the evening went on, he was relieved Ivy hadn't arrived. Priscilla had disappeared, and he stood with Jimmy sipping scotch. Jimmy said, "Isn't that the girl I gave the ride to?"

Baxter watched as Ivy glided across the lawn in a dress which gave the illusion she was naked. Every man with testosterone left in his nuts looked her way. Behind her, Jarrod Bates was fucking her with his eyes and Priscilla walked beside her cousin. If his glass was delicate, he would have crushed it in his hand.

He had to stop thinking of her as his, but not right away while half the dicks at the party were standing at attention. The only reason his wasn't was because his jealousy had taken over. As soon as Bates held her against him, Baxter wanted to march across the lawn.

Jimmy gritted his teeth. "Someone has to save her."

"You go. Priscilla."

Jimmy walked across the lawn, but stopped. He returned and shook his head. "Look at that Tarzan to the rescue. I'm surprised he's wearing a shirt." Jimmy laughed at his own joke.

Jimmy was on the short list of people who could insult his siblings. When Kasper's dance with Ivy continued, Baxter grew impatient watching her laughing. What if she fell for him? Kasper had no regard for the importance of being a Kane.