No hands went up. "Thanks a lot." Kasper frowned.

Doyle said, "Who thinks Mother will accept Ivy?"

Only Baxter's hand went up. Ivy frowned. Doyle assured her it was a vote against their mother not her.

In the car on the way back to the Sinclair house, Baxter sat quietly. Ivy squeezed his hand. "How was your day?"

"Busy. Fine."

"You were quiet all night."

"We were watching my brother."

Charles greeted them and they went straight upstairs since Jimmy was traveling and his parents had retired. Once in their room, Baxter undressed. Ivy sat in a chair and watched him.

"Are you tired?" He shook his head. Her stomach felt sour. "Are you mad at me?"

He looked up at her. "What? No." He sighed.

"I'm grasping."

He sat on the bed and patted next to him. "Sit here. I saw them together."

"Who?" She braced herself for the answer she expected. "My father and Eleanor. What's she been like lately?"

Ivy shrugged. "I never see her and I'm here most of the time." He nodded. "Why?"

"I think my mother knows about them or is holding something over my father. That's why he's letting her control things."

"Are you going to confront him?"

He shook his head. "No. I almost didn't tell you, but we're a team. I told you we have time, but I don't want to hurt Eleanor."

"So, we what?"

"We wait, but we're together and that's what matters."

"And we go to your mother's gala?"

He nodded. "I have an extra seat at my table. I plan to invite Eleanor."

"Why would you?"

"Because she's been good to you and she's a loyal employee."

"But your mother?"

"She deserves the embarrassment. I've invited other employees."

"Secretaries?"

"Danielle."

"Can I stay home?"

"No." He pulled her close. "I want to dance with you." His lips found her neck. She sighed.

When he pulled back, she smiled. "I need your money."

He smirked. "Why?"

"Because I've been photographed with Jimmy in every gown I own. I need a Baxter gown."

"I'm partial to the one you borrowed from Tate. The one that made you look half nude."

She closed her eyes. "I was so afraid to wear it. Dani talked me into it."

"Find something sexy."

"Elena is taking me shopping."

"Perfect. Can we forget everything except each other?" He kissed her lips tenderly. "I just want to hold you."

"I need to change."

Baxter wore only his boxers, but she was still in her jeans. When she went into the bathroom to wash her face and brush her teeth, he followed her. Together they stood at the double sinks.

It was hard to believe he was a stranger eight months before. Ivy knew his heart as much as her own and smiled as she watched him tap his toothbrush to get the excess water off after he rinsed it. He turned and left before she changed into one of his old tee shirts.