43 - Trust

At Elena's insistence, Ivy went home and packed to stay at the Sinclair's through the weekend. "We can get ready for the gala together. You have a dress?"

Ivy nodded and blushed. "Jimmy bought me some."

"I wish it were my son, but I saw you and Baxter after the funeral."

"We're going to Tate's to watch Kasper."

"I don't understand why Amelia is happy with her youngest son, but not her oldest. I would love Jimmy if he decided he wanted to quit work and collect garbage."

Ivy laughed. "He's likely to embarrass you with his business dealings."

"I try not to listen. My son is devious."

Loyal and devious. What girl would want that rolled into a handsome body? Probably a greedy one, no wonder Jimmy liked being a bachelor.

When she entered Tate's apartment, Baxter and Dani hadn't arrived. The other woman spent more time with Baxter than Ivy, but she had seen the way they interacted. Ivy and Baxter had enough barriers without jealousy. Baxter was fighting for her. He proved his love when he didn't use a condom. Ivy didn't think sex could get better, but it did. It was amazing, and she tingled just thinking of it.

Kasper put his arm around her. "How're you doing, mystery girl named?"

That was one of the trending hashtags associated with her. "It was bound to happen. I don't need a bodyguard."

"Poor Macintyre is underappreciated. For the record, I'd sleep with him."

"Doyle! Mac would get fired." Kasper glared at his twin.

"He's very loyal to Baxter." Ivy knew he would protect Baxvy, another trending hashtag.

"Too bad Mother isn't." Doyle stamped her foot. "I'm taking photos backstage for a grunge band and hoping to score a new boyfriend."

Tate gritted her teeth. "Don't."

"Why? I can use my relationship as leverage for Baxter and Ivy."

Tate frowned. "You pick the worst guys. Worse than me."

Ivy bit into a slice of pizza. If only his parents were as accepting as his siblings. The conversation turned to gowns for the gala. Ivy showed Tate pictures of her two choices. "I've worn them both."

"No one will notice."

Kasper laughed. "Google will. She can't be on Jimmy's arm then with Baxter in the same dress."

She frowned. "I'll just stay home."

Doyle jumped forward. "Let's find a new one for Bax to buy."

Ivy bit her lip. "Elena said she would take me shopping."

Tate said, "Elena, really?"

Ivy nodded. "Mrs. Sinclair has been very nice."

When Baxter and Dani arrived together, Dani received the largest greeting, except from Ivy who used her lips to say hello to the other arrival. A whistle from Kasper separated them and Ivy hid her face against Baxter who rubbed her back. "You're just jealous, I found my true love."

"Shush! The show is starting." Tate turned up the TV.

Baxter's arm pulled Ivy in as they sat together. After the hour, Kasper had earned a spot in the finale.

He smiled. "Who said I was going home right away?" A few hands went up. "Disbelievers."

Doyle said, "Who thinks he'll win?"