41 - Mystery girl

Ivy focused her energy on graduating from law school. If she worried about her personal life, it would drag her down. Some facts she couldn't change. First, she loved Baxter. Second, his parents didn't accept her, but Baxter assured her it would work out.

They spent their evenings at Jimmy's house instead of his office. Sometimes he worked and other nights they relaxed with Jimmy or in front of a movie. Their friend traveled extensively during the week. His shadow of grief had dissolved a little each week.

Once a week they met with his siblings to watch Kasper's show, and Danielle joined them. As Baxter and his assistant stood off to the side deep in conversation, Ivy watched the sisters tease Kasper about narrowly being saved the episode before. Doyle laughed. "Enjoy yourself, this is our last gathering."

Tate said, "You can still come over and watch without our shirtless brother on the screen."

Baxter turned to them with a frown. Tate sat up. "What's wrong?"

Ivy walked over to stand at Baxter's side. She supported him.

He took her hand. "I never received an invitation to the Arts Gala."

Kasper frowned. "I got mine. They were on the front hall table."

"Yours was there. I should have picked it up. I assumed Percy had it delivered to you." Doyle's frown was formidable.

"I blame Mother. I can't believe she doesn't want me at her prize event." Kasper looked from sibling to sibling.

"She claims it's to be the best ever," Tate added.

Kasper moaned. "She talks about it nonstop and acts as if life is perfect."

Tate turned to Danielle. "How did you find out?"

The donor chairperson called to ask if Baxter planned to purchase a table again. "I had to blame Baxter for not putting it on his calendar."

"I'm buying my table and hope they place it next to Mother's."

"Can we sit with you?" Doyle begged.

"Don't upset mother. I'm using my table for employees. Tate, you can join us."

"You and Danielle?" Ivy asked.

He rolled his eyes. "Us, as in me and you, but Danielle attends too."

Tate smiled. "Dani, you can be my date."

"I don't think I should attend."

Baxter squeezed her hand. "Sweetheart, if you stay home she wins. We need to prove to her we're serious."

"How?"

"By being together and staying together."

Kasper said, "You should marry her."

Ivy blushed. She wanted to, but feared it too.

"We're not in a rush. Hopefully, mother will come around."

"Why do you blame Mother? Father hasn't embraced Ivy." Tate asked Baxter.

"Mother is in control."

"It's not right." Doyle's eyes glossed over.

Ivy pointed to the TV screen. "The show is starting."

As Baxter kissed her cheek, he whispered, "Thank you."

She kissed his lips. "I know your theory." Baxter was convinced his mother had emotionally blackmailed his father to join her side. Ivy didn't agree, but the outcome was the same: his two parents were against him.