"Are you alright?"

She shook her head. "I feel pressure in my head and my chest. I know this won't end well."

"It will. Please don't panic. I'm surprised Tate hasn't called. Come on, let's sit."

Ivy hadn't touched her phone since the doorbell rang. When they sat on the same sofa where she had been studying, she picked it up. She had text messages from Tate asking what was happening. She handed her phone over. "Here. Call your sister."

Baxter took the phone. Tate's voice was so loud, she could hear her. "Ivy! What's happening?"

"Tate. It's me. I'll put you on speaker."

Tate's voice filled the room. "Baxter, did Mother kick you out?"

"No, I left. She wouldn't listen. The truth is, she has no power."

"She can make your life miserable. Ivy, were you with him?"

"No. Thank God."

"Where are you staying?"

"At Jimmy's temporarily. I'll find a place. Hopefully, for both of us." He looked at Ivy.

She was the one who needed the apartment. Did they dare move in together? She didn't respond, as Tate asked, "Should I go talk to her."

"No, let her marinate. I told her about the cross and reminded her of Ned."

"She would kiss Ivy before she let Ned run the business."

"I know. Dad hasn't weighed in."

"I'd be most worried about dad."

"Remember, he's the softie who always gave us what we wanted. He wants us to be happy."

"He's mellowed since his heart attack."

"Death at your door might do that. He'll convince mother. It'll be fine, Tate. Ivy is getting another call."

He handed the phone over. Ivy answered. "Freya."

"Ivy, you are trending again. Hashtag mystery date."

"That's better than hashtag two-timer."

"Well, I saw that one too. You looked so cute shopping together." Ivy wanted to laugh, but she felt violated. "Joey and I want to meet him."

"I don't know." She bit her lip.

"Come on. He survived Applebees; he can survive us."

"I'll talk to him." She ended the call.

Baxter looked at her with an eyebrow raised. "Talk about what?"

"My friends want to meet you."

"The ones with the baby?"

She smiled and nodded. "Milo."

Baxter leaned in and kissed her forehead. "Do you want babies?"

Ivy looked up at him. "Do you? And I don't mean to carry on the Kane name."

He laughed. "Is that what you think? I only want a son? Growing up with my siblings, I always wanted my own family. What's it all for if you don't have people you love?"

Ivy felt a tear break through. "I love you, but I'm afraid my dream will never come true. I'm just starting my career and your mother is working against us."

"Remember, I always get what I want."

"It sounds good, but."

"But nothing. It will happen."