37 - Frozen food

Standing in the crowded Applebee's with Baxter was comical, as her two separate worlds collided. He was adorable out of his element, and a good sport.

When they called her name, they passed families and couples enjoying meals. The hostess put the menus on a table in the middle of the restaurant. A booth would have privacy, but she didn't want to wait longer.

Baxter's face when he opened the menu was priceless. "I've never seen so many choices." He flipped. "It's pages. I need a drink."

Ivy smiled. "Get a beer. The booze won't be top shelf."

She imagined the top shelf at Applebee's was probably in the well at the restaurant in New York. "A little different than our Big Apple date."

He scoffed, "You think?"

She laughed. "Now you know how I feel all the time. Completely out of my element."

"Sweetheart, I understand. I do. I've seen you grow more accustomed. In time it will all be second nature.

He spoke some truth. Riding with a chauffeur was no longer a big deal. Attending events with Jimmy had become less intimidating.

He put his menu down and looked up at her. "Did you decide?" She was torn between a chicken dish, a salad, or a wrap.

"No, you can order for me."

Chuckling, she shook her head. "Like you did."

"No, not like I did."

Her body tingled from his authoritarian tone. She laughed as she remembered Tate questioning her about Baxter being bossy. It was hard to explain, but she liked it. Maybe because he never bossed her about anything important to her. He would never control her because he respected her opinions.

When the server came, they ordered drinks and their meals. She debated between ribs and a burger for him, but decided on a good ol' beef patty with all the toppings. Either way, she would watch him eat with his hands.

"What are you smiling about?"

"You, eating a burger and fries."

He laughed. "I told you I've been to McDonald's."

"Yes. Drunk."

He chuckled. "Maybe not drunk."

Their conversation morphed into world events. They had never discussed politics, but Ivy found Baxter more moderate than she expected. He laughed. "Just listen to Doyle for five minutes. I'm open minded. Honestly, I hate politics."

"I bet your father doesn't."

"My father has opinions which he keeps to himself, but he has grumbled about where Doyle came from. The answer is obvious, since she arrived minutes before Kasper."

Ivy giggled. "I assumed Doyle was the youngest."

"Nope. Spoiled Kasper."

"How did his trip go?"

Baxter smiled. "Well, actually. He's a talented actor, but the good news is the water only damaged cars and not the structure. The water company is responsible for the cars. We came out of it virtually unscathed."

"So good week?"

He smiled. "It was. And now, I'm here with you."

He stopped talking as the food appeared in front of them. "That's a full plate."

She laughed. "Most people don't want to pay for a meal that leaves them hungry. I bet most will leave uncomfortably full."

"Why would they do that?"