27 - Fairy Tales

When Ivy left the house in Dover, she felt restless. In order to attend the funeral, she had to skip class. Thankfully, there was an older woman in her class who took good notes. Ivy had helped her out when one of her kids was sick.

Instead of going home to Eleanor's place, she drove to Freya's. Her friend opened the door. "This is a surprise. What's wrong?"

"I should have texted. I went to a funeral, and so I just stopped by."

"Who died?"

"Jimmy Sinclair's uncle."

"Your boyfriend?" Freya bent down and picked up Milo who had been on his tummy playing. "Auntie Ivy has a rich boyfriend."

"It's not Jimmy. Baxter wants me to go on another date."

"Back up. Another? The last I knew you were dating Jimmy to make him jealous."

"The jealousy failed. I was dating Jimmy because he wanted to look like he won. Very caveman, but I didn't care."

"Your life is so exciting." Freya sniffed Milo's diaper and frowned.

Ivy didn't agree although Baxter excited her. From the moment he sat next to her in the church she was aware of him. Holding his hand felt right as he supported her. Then there was his tone when he told her she and Jimmy had to break up. It was the same demanding voice he used in bed. One more date wouldn't hurt.

"You're thinking about sex!" Freya appeared with a smiling, clean baby.

"No. Why do you say that?"

"You smiled and then you frowned. Maybe you are Cinder-fucking-Ella and you'll get your prince. Seriously, if they had snuck into a quiet corner in the castle, he wouldn't have needed a shoe to recognize her. I bet your prince could find you blindfolded."

Ivy sighed. "I could find him."

"I could find Joey by the smell of his farts."

"Freya stop it!"

"I'm kidding. You are one gigantic sigh over there. I just wanted to bring you back to earth."

"I agreed to another date."

"Good. Make him fall in love with you. Then you can slay the dragon together."

"What dragon?"

"His family, the paparazzi, or whatever is keeping you apart. Everyone loves a fairytale."

"My mother told me they aren't real."

"I always liked your mom, but she has never been happy. Come on. It's mealtime. He's still getting used to eating off a spoon."

The kitchen had the addition of a high chair since her last visit. Once Milo was secure, he banged his fists and vibrated his lips. Then he stopped and laughed. "He doesn't look hungry."

"He only wants momma if he's starving. This is a snack. Joey says he has good taste."

"TMI. He's like my brother. Do you think Tate will hate me if she found out I had sex with her brother?"

"She might be hurt that you lied, but I think it's 'are having' not 'had sex'."

"You're right. We will end up with my skirt around my hips. It's inevitable."

"Don't sound so upset. When was the last time you had sex? Get it for as long as you can."

"But it'll break my heart to have him and then lose him."

Freya sat and started spooning green stuff into Milo's mouth. His tongue pushed half back out. "Then make sure you don't lose him. You never answered when you two last did the horizontal." Her question came out in a sing-song voice.