16 - Twentieth floor

Every day when Ivy stepped out onto the fourteenth floor, Eleanor greeted her. "Our ray of sunshine."

"I don't feel like sunshine."

"You cheer up the department. Even Brad looks happier."

Bradley was a middle-aged man in the middle of a divorce. The poor guy was blindsided and told anyone who would listen that she should have told him she was unhappy for the last ten years."

Ivy had confided in Eleanor. "My parents are miserable too."

"Sweetheart, my offer still stands. You can rent my extra room cheap. My commute is a breeze, only a few stops on the train or if you drive with your parking perk."

"You just want me to drive. I'll be done in four weeks."

"But you'll still be in Boston."

"Why do you want me so badly?"

"Because I'm lonely."

Ivy whispered. "Brad is single."

Eleanor laughed. "I don't think so. I'm too old for him and not that lonely." She lowered her voice. "I bet he's the type who leaves his black socks on..."

"While doing it!" Ivy put her hands on her cheeks.

"Well, yes that too, but I was going to say with sandals."

Ivy laughed as she walked to her office. She had done projects for each of the lawyers in the small department. It felt bittersweet, because she couldn't stay even if they asked her. Emotionally, she needed separation from the Kanes, although she wouldn't stop being friends with Tate. They had been friends without involving her family until she foolishly agreed to go to the wedding and then Aspen.

Deep into a contract, she jumped when Eleanor stood at her door. "Danielle called. They need you upstairs."

"Upstairs?"

"In Baxter's office."

She gulped. "Why?"

"It's not my job to ask."

Each step felt like her shoes were made of lead. The twentieth floor looked different with its large offices and open space. In the middle, there was a large boardroom with glass double doors.

Dani stood by the elevator. "I can't thank you enough for filling in for me."

"What? Why?" She had a frog in her throat and butterflies in her belly.

"I, um, I have to leave. It's personal, and Baxter has an important meeting. He needs someone he trusts to take notes, and he agreed when I suggested you." She thrusted a pad and pen at her.

"He did?"

"Ivy, Baxter Kane is careful who he trusts, and you made the cut. You'll do fine." She pointed to a door.

Ivy saw him at his desk with his phone to his ear. Her heart stopped before it resumed at record speed. She approached his office, but he continued talking as if she didn't exist. His tone gave her goosebumps. It was cliche, but he was a man who knew what he wanted in the boardroom and the bedroom.

He hung up the phone and looked at her for a long time. Her legs felt like rubber as she waited for him to speak. "Come in, Ivy. Thanks for helping." He pointed to a seat in the corner.

She sat and waited while he typed on his keyboard. He looked up. "Outside at the printer. Can you get the paper?"

She stood and walked to the printer across from his door, beside Dani's desk. As she approached his desk, he put a hand up. "It's for you. Those are my objectives. You need to record the union's objectives. It's hard to keep focus and remember the details."