13 - Silly

Baxter was reluctant to invite Priscilla on the boat to spend the Fourth with his family. The Saturday before they were at another summer party and his mother mentioned their tradition to Priscilla. He felt backed into a corner. "You should join us."

At least, Tate didn't invite a friend. Even Doyle came clear-eyed without her rock star. The day started chilly, so the girls stayed covered as they worked their way through the lock and under the bridges spanning the Charles River. He and his father had lowered the mast for the trip into the river.

Baxter and Priscilla had kissed, but he had been a gentleman. They limited their relationship to accompanying each other to social events.

Right away, Doyle took a disliking to her, but anyone who didn't party was dull and boring to Doyle. "What do people call you for short?"

Priscilla smiled. "Nothing. I hate Prissy."

"Really?" Baxter glared at his sister not trusting her.

"Priscilla. I've got it! Silly. It's cute like you."

"Doyle." He warned.

Priscilla put her hand on his chest. "It's fine. If she likes it."

Tate laughed. "What kind of lawyer are you? You're a pushover."

Baxter waited to feel more than pleasant from her hand on his sweatshirt. He agreed with Tate and wouldn't want anyone in his legal department to be a people pleaser. His mind strayed to a soon-to-be lawyer who had no qualms telling him what she wanted.

"I like people to like me. I'm in the intellectual properties division."

"What's that? Catching people who download movies?" Doyle asked.

"Or representing the ones who do."

Doyle smiled. "Do you do it? Rip off movies or porn."

Tate yelled, "Doyle, don't be a jerk."

Amelia frowned. "Stop fighting. It's a family day."

Baxter said, "Except Kasper isn't here."

Doyle said, "Let's wager on how he does this time."

"No!" Tate said.

Baxter said, "For bragging rights. Not money. I think he'll win." He didn't, but he wanted to cause a stir.

Doyle laughed. "No way. He'll get kicked out when they go from four to three."

Tate said, "You're both wrong. He'll be seen as a threat, plus it's common knowledge he's a Kane. He's out early and pissed about it."

Priscilla shook her head. "I don't understand anything you've said."

"It's okay." Baxter wasn't about to explain the game to her.

Philip smiled at Baxter. "We've got a perfect spot."

"One of our best yet." Boats of all sizes already crowded the river.

As Baxter handed Priscilla a mimosa, she asked, "When will you put the sail up?"

"We don't, not today. We would lose our prime spot."

"Spot?"

"For the fireworks."

"They aren't for hours. Wouldn't it be better to watch them at the famous concert?"

He laughed. "With those crowds? We're the lucky ones to have a boat."

"What about the concert?"

He shrugged. "We should be able to hear some of it. This is our family tradition."