7 - Home

Exhausted Baxter entered the Kane family Beacon Hill Home at ten o'clock on Thursday night. His Phoenix trip hadn't gone the way he wanted. The deal wasn't off, but it had proven to be more difficult than he preferred.

Part of his fatigue had nothing to do with his trip. He hadn't slept well since he left Aspen. For twenty-nine years, he had slept alone, so three nights shouldn't make a difference. He fought the temptation to stop in Aspen for a night, but a clean break was best. Besides, he had an executive meeting first thing.

Percy, the butler, appeared as if he were waiting for him. "Welcome home, sir." The older man took his luggage. He had worked for the family when Philip started working for Kane Properties.

"Is anyone downstairs?"

"Miss. Doyle is out, but your parents are in the parlor."

"Thank you."

"Can I get you anything?"

He looked pensive before shaking his head. He was a grown man and could pour his own drink. Taking in a breath and letting it out slowly, he walked towards his parents. They were both reading. Amelia had a novel in her hands, while Philip hid behind the Wall Street Journal.

"Hello Mother, Dad."

"Baxter, you're home." His mother's words came out like a worried sigh.

"Son, I read the report on Phoenix."

He nodded. "I'm not giving up."

"You have always gone after what you wanted. You fought for your spot on the baseball team at North Hills Academy."

"I worked hard." He never shied away from hard work.

Amelia sighed. "If only your younger siblings were more like you."

Even though he agreed with his mother, he loved his brother and sister and would defend them. Doyle was a talented photographer and Kasper was a true competitor. "Have you heard from Tate?"

A longer sigh left his mother's lungs. "She's relaxing and is spending time at the spa."

Philip sighed. "I hope she isn't wearing the cross."

Baxter shook his head. "I have it. Doyle gave it to me when she told me the wedding was off." Baxter was a skeptic and didn't believe in the family lore. It hadn't brought Tate true love. He thought of Ivy. It didn't matter that he had the cross around his neck when he kissed her. Lores are fictional stories embellished through the years. "What happened? I'm surprised the press hasn't broken the story."

"The Dawson's are staying quiet."

Baxter raised an eyebrow at his father. "Did you incentivize them?"

"No. It's their son's reputation not Tate's."

"What did he do?"

Amelia looked madder than she had ever been at Doyle. "He spent the night with another woman."

"Looks like Tate was spared." Spending the night had a new meaning to Baxter, as he wondered if the jerk fucked someone or if he also held her all night. "I hope Tate rises above it."

"You think about yourself. I'll worry about Tate."

"Mother. My focus is on the Phoenix deal."

"I had hoped a wedding guest might catch your fancy. Tate's friend..." His gut clenched. "... Faith comes from a prestigious family."

"The only thing about me that excites her is my last name and the number of commas in my net worth."

"Love has started with less."