CHAPTER 24 ~ Cruelty

Mulai dari awal

"After Damien told us you ran away, he told us to look for you. I bet Carter I'd find you first," he responds with a friendly smile, gently lifting her from the cold ground. With his hand around her waist and hers supporting herself on his shoulders, they navigate through the streets. Sky assumes they are heading home, but the direction takes an unexpected turn.

"What are we doing here?" she questions as they enter an alley, the surroundings growing darker and more ominous.

Zachary's abrupt move sends Sky slamming against the wall, her wrists firmly gripped above her. Hope dissipates as his eyes darken, observing the evident suffering etched across her face. The option to ease up on her exists, but he fails to see the benefit in doing so.

"Please Zachary, I just-"

"What were you saying?" he interrupts, his free hand grabbing her face. "I missed this, you know? Trying to distract myself with other girls, but it's just not the same. The way they scream... it doesn't do it for me." He chuckles, tracing his thumb over her bottom lip. Sky is filled with disgust, attempting to turn her head away, but she can't move.

He descends to her neck, inhaling deeply, her sweet scent enveloping his senses.

"It's like your fear enhances the sweetness of your scent." He smirks, running his tongue over the delicate skin on her neck, sending shivers down her spine. Just before he can sink his fangs into her skin,

"Who is Annabelle?" She cries out, desperately hoping it might be a reason for him to cease.

"How do you know that name?"

"Who is she??" She presses for answer. Zachary's eyes reveal a storm of conflicting emotions as he reluctantly continues, "She was part of our past, a chapter we'd rather forget." His words hang in the air, laden with a weight that Sky can't quite comprehend. The alley seems to close in around them, trapping her in a web of mysteries that only deepen.

"I've lost my appetite. He says and throws her over his shoulder, carrying her to his car."

The headlights of the sleek black car cut through the darkness as Zachary arrives at the imposing mansion. The engine hums to a halt, and the heavy silence hangs in the air as he opens the car door. Exhausted and drained, Sky steps out, her movements sluggish. Her eyes, heavy with unanswered questions, glance at the grandeur of the mansion, its facade imposing against the night.

Zachary leads her towards the entrance, each step echoing in the quiet night. The mansion, usually a symbol of strength, now seems to cast shadows that dance ominously. Sky hasn't spoken much during the drive, and the weight of unspoken words lingers between them. As they approach the entrance, a mixture of weariness and curiosity paints her face, leaving Zachary torn between revealing more and keeping the enigma intact.

The door opens and they walk in while Carter and Kaiden step forward to greet them. Relief flickers in their eyes at the sight of Sky, albeit worn and fatigued.

"Sky, you're back," Carter exclaims, trying to alleviate the tension with a playful demeanor. Kaiden approaches with a more subdued concern. "Are you okay? We sensed something was off." Sky forces a faint smile, her eyes avoiding the inquisitive gazes.

"Just a rough night. I don't really want to talk about it."

Carter and Kaiden exchange a knowing look. Though not many words have been said they realize that something serious has happened to her. Despite their curiosity, they respect her silent plea for privacy. The mansion's grandeur, usually a sanctuary, now harbors an unspoken heaviness, as if secrets whispered in its corridors.

"You look terrible." Kaiden says, "I can sense that you have a fever."

"Yeah... I have an infection on my back. It's probably caused by that."