The collaboration with NewJeans is a worldwide success

web article

Chaeri: the star who lights up the stage: her collaboration with NewJeans is a worldwide success

For devoted BTS enthusiasts, the name Chaeri needs no introduction. As the eighth member of the internationally acclaimed K-pop phenomenon, she stands as the sole female artist among the group's stellar lineup. Born in 1998, Chaeri boasts an illustrious history with BTS, showcasing her prowess not only as a gifted singer and actress but also as a standout choreographer. Her dance contributions have left an indelible mark on BTS's most iconic tunes, including chart-toppers like "Dynamite," "Butter," and "Run BTS."

Beyond her stellar trajectory with BTS and her role as a choreographer for Ateez (noteworthy for choreographing hits like "Guerrilla," "Halazia," and "Bouncy"), Chaeri has chosen to extend her artistic reach by collaborating with another emerging group: NewJeans.

Debuting in 2022 under the ADOR label, a HYBE subsidiary, NewJeans is a five-member female quintet that has enraptured audiences with their distinctive blend of 1990s and 2000s pop and R&B influences. Their powerful harmonies and captivating musical style shine in hits like "Attention," "Hype Boy," "Cookie," "Ditto," and "OMG."

The collaboration between Chaeri and NewJeans kicked off in 2023 with the creation of the dance for their single "Super Shy." This infectious track narrates the tale of a bashful girl in love with a boy, with Chaeri's choreography adding an extra layer of captivation through fluid and synchronized movements. The accompanying music video for "Super Shy" soared past 100 million views on YouTube in under a month, claiming top spots on charts worldwide.

Yet, the collaboration between Chaeri and NewJeans doesn't conclude with "Super Shy." Chaeri continued to craft captivating choreography for the group's subsequent hits, such as "ETA," "Cool With You," and the latest addition to the idols' mini-album, "Get Up," titled "Gods"—the World Cup anthem for the popular video game League of Legends.

Enthusiastically embraced by fans and critics alike, Chaeri's dynamic creativity and versatility as both a choreographer and artist, combined with NewJeans' skill and charisma as performers, have earned them the moniker of a perfect artistic synergy.

In an interview, Chaeri expressed her delight at working with NewJeans, affectionately viewing them as younger sisters. The members of NewJeans reciprocated the sentiment, conveying their admiration and gratitude for Chaeri's guidance, acknowledging the invaluable lessons learned from her.

A Special Bond: Chaeri and Haerin's Musical Harmony

Within the folds of NewJeans, one member shares a unique and profound connection with Chaeri—her cousin, Haerin.

Initially, some skeptics within the K-pop community speculated about the potential bias in Chaeri's collaboration with NewJeans, particularly due to the familial connection with Haerin. There were concerns that Chaeri, being Haerin's cousin, might exhibit favoritism in the allocation of roles within the group's choreographies, potentially giving Haerin an undue advantage.

However, as the collaborative projects unfolded, it became abundantly clear that Chaeri's commitment to professionalism and artistic integrity superseded any familial ties. The dance routines crafted by Chaeri for NewJeans were a testament to her impartiality, as each member showcased their unique talents and strengths in a harmonious blend. Haerin, despite the blood relation, had no special treatment in the choreographic assignments, proving that Chaeri's artistic decisions were rooted in merit and artistic vision.