Chapter 26

"Matteo will always take care of Bella."

I'm starting to regret my decision

I've decided to get back upstairs after my embarrassing encounter with my ex-best friend (who really started to regret the time we spent together). When I got back, I decided against getting back in the blanket, so I walked over to the window. There is an area to sit right by the window, so enjoying the view would be a great idea.

The snow started to fall, so I got up to see it more clearly, and when the window was blocking its view, I put my hands on the lock and started to pull the window up. Now, the only problem is that the window doesn't go down anymore, or maybe I'm not strong enough to get it down.

"Stupid window," I groan, fighting to clatter my teeth at the cold. I really wish I had put on something else when I got up here. I was still in my super short pajama set, and even though I find it flattering, it was very cold. The cold air hits my skin hard, and I close my eyes tight for it to not water.

"Oh my God," I shout out loud when I feel something on my face—something soft and yet wierd on my face. "No!" I shout out louder when I open my eyes to see the flying creature move past me and toward the bedroom. "Oh no!" I scream even louder when I get to see what it actually is.

I'm going batshit insane.

There is no pun in that, though, because there is an actual bat moving overhead in the front of the room. I move closer to the window, feeling the icy cold go through my body, and put my hand on my thigh. Should I be concerned that I can't feel my fingertips? I'm still shouting as the bat moves back and forth, and then it stops and looks at me.

"No, please, I have a life to live. I have parents who will cry if I'm gone and a sister who would surely be lost without me. The twins! They need me, please. Their parents! They would cry as well, and there would be no one to go around them. Matteo! Fuck him now, but he would be crying as well!" I shout out loud and get even louder when the bat goes straight for me. "Please don't attack me," I shout when it hits my head and goes straight out the window.

I feel goosebumps go through my body at the fact that it is gone. I place my hands on my mouth and stare at the bat that is moving farther away.

"What is going on up here?" I hear a frantic shout from beside me and turn around on my freezing heels to find the guy who was home alone with me as well. His eyes go to the open window and then to my body. I was sure I had shrunk a few inches from the cold.

"The hell?" he whispers, and I only stare at him; blinking had become hard to do as well. Matteo shakes his head, and I see a shudder go through him. "Are you trying to kill yourself?" he is saying as he heads over to the window and shuts it with ease.

"Hard to close," I mutter the words through clattering teeth. He locks the window and turns to me. His eyes go down to my body and stop at my freezing heart. "No, shit. Your fingers are numb," he says, and I want to cry. He is not being so nice to me right now.