Chapter 11

"Matteo will watch all of Valentina's dance performances"

I couldn't do this.

I don't know what I was thinking about when I said okay to my friend, Madeline, about doing a duo. I knew I was scared to go out in front of a crowd so why did I say yes? Oh right because I was challenging myself.

Now I was being challenged and I was backing down. No.

"Yes", Madeline says from beside me. Can she read my mind? She chuckles and says, "You are repeating 'no' under your breath. Come on, Val. We look radiant— you did my makeup so well. I'm glowing."

"Thank you", I say to her compliment and she nods. "Look at our outfits, we look pretty." I look down at the outfits we had planned out for our routine. I was wearing a white skirt that flared out so much to the point of it being a totu and I was wearing a white bodysuit to match. Madeline was dressed the same but only in black. We were the opposite of each other but we both equally looked good.

"I saw a pretty boy take a seat next to your family", Madeline adds. "Pretty hair, that one has."

"My boyfriend", I whisper under my breath and feel myself smiling. I was right when I said that my boyfriend had only lost control that one time. After that day, he hadn't been rough with me anymore. I just had to explain the situation to him the next day and he was perfectly happy with me. I was glad for that. And now he had come to watch dance even though I hadn't told him about it.

"I guess I am doing this", I say to Maddy blowing out a breath.

"Yeah we are", she says with excitement in her voice and I can't help but smile as well. We had this. We could do this.

Our names are called out from the stage and Madline takes my hand in hers. "You got this, Val."

"Only because I believe you", I say to her and she nods. The both of us walk out from behind the curtains and head our separate ways. Once I am out there, my eyes search for my family. Where were they? I find Elena holding out her hand and try not to smile when I see my parents next to her.

Where is my boyfriend? I move away from my parents who are smiling with all of their teeth and toward the person sitting right by my dad. Oh, that wasn't Ethan. Matteo was sitting by my dad with his head low as he is watching his phone. His parents most likely forced him to be here.

The music for our dance starts up and I feel my heart beating faster even though the first part of our dance was more of a slower part. I turn to Madeline who gives me a soft smile and let my body get lost with the music. Even though I am nervous, I was still able to get lost in the routine I built.

I didn't need to think about how there were a lot of people here watching me. I didn't care about the guy who was sitting by my parents but was on his phone. None of it mattered but me performed the dance Maddy and I practiced for a full month.