Chapter 25

"Matteo will be able to apologize for his mistakes."

I'm an idiot

I'm an idiot.

I didn't mean to say that.

It wasn't true.

God, it wasn't true.

Being able to spend my life with Valentina was the highlight of my life. There was never a time where I wished we didn't do things together. Not even the embarassing shopping that my mom took me of which consisted of her making me choose out my underwears. I didn't regret any of those moments.

I can't believe I put up with you for so many years.

I don't believe I should ever be abused but someone has to hit me for my stupid comment.

Someone had.

She had.

I woke up to pain searing at my arm and groaned when I felt the impact of it hard on me later on. I stirred awake to find Valentina walking away and the way her eyes caught mine made me know that she was the one who had hit me. I wasn't even mad about it. I welcomed the pain of my stupidity. I welcomed the fact that she was punishing me back.

I had hurt her.

I tried not to think about the way she sobbed the whole night. She hadn't made any noise for the better part of two hours but then she started. Once she started, there was no way to stop her. Her cries became louder, echoing off of the room. At a time she pressed a hand to her mouth to stifle the noise but it didn't help.

I stayed at my spot on the floor while she cried her heart out. God, I broke her heart. My stupid comeback purely out of anger and frustration through her made her cry. Her face fell when the words left my mouth and she was trying to hard to be strong in front of me.

I've seen her not cry when her ex boyfriend punched her across the jaw. She had stood there strong. But my words hit her hard; tears springed in her eyees as soon as I spoke. Then she took her bottom lip in her mouth and pressed down on it but I saw her wobbly chin. I saw her try her hardest to not cry as she told me she was going to sleep and for me to turn the light off.

Valentina didn't curse often but when she did, she was angry. She was angry at me when she told me to turn the light off. Then she took off the necklace and threw it at me. It hit me on my shoulder and fell onto my lap. I grabbed for it and then she told me to give it to another girl whom I would break her heart.

I had broken Valentina's heart.

My hands holding the plate tightens as I walk up the stairs and toward my room. We all had hung out in the living room for the morning because our plans don't start until after lunch. My mom asked me to take the plate of breakfast up to Valentina after a few hours. She told me to check if she was feeling better.