It's been three days since George and Josh's visit so it can't be related to them. They were really good to everyone and so was the other way around.

"Am I in trouble?" I whisper to Rhyett.

"No. Why would you think that?"

"Lucius never calls me to his office so I thought I did something wrong." I scratch the back of my neck.

"Don't worry, hun. You didn't do anything. Just wait till dad gets here."

Maybe it's about the gala coming weekend. It's an extravagant affair and my family might want me to behave in a particular way.

I've never been to a party like this and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do there. So it won't hurt to get some special instructions.

But what if they decided against taking me?

What if they think I'm gonna embarrass them so they changed their mind? What if they think I'm an immature teenager so I won't know how to act?

I really want to go, I've even ordered a dress for it. If they cancel on me now, I'm surely gonna cry.

I'm pulled out of my thoughts when Lucius opens the door and steps inside. He places his phone on the desk and sits down across from us.

Cyrus places a chair next to me for himself. And suddenly this setting feels suffocating. It's like they're gonna drop a bombshell on me.

Lucius intertwine his fingers over the desk looking every bit serious about whatever topic he has picked for today.

"As you know we're going to the Astor's Gala this Sunday," And we can't take you along. "I wanted to tell you a few things before that. It's better you find out from me than anyone else."

I nod and he continues. "You're aware that we have invested a lot in real estate and construction industry over the years but that's not entirety of what we do.... There are a few things that some might not consider..... ethical."

Oh I see where this is going.

But I highly doubt that ethical is the right term. I would've used legal.

Should I tell him I already know what he wants to tell me? But I wonder how he plans to explain this to me....

I stay silent so Cyrus decides to step in. "Some of the smaller parts of our business does include using legal loopholes to our advantage. But to be fair that's just regular functioning of any business."

I'm surprised of how normal they're trying to make this sound like. Do they even themselves believe that what they do is wrong?

Rhyett is next in line. "There are some organizations that don't always work in coordination with the authorities since they're the authority in their area.”

Dad looks at me with an expression that are meant to put me at ease. "Being the part of one of those organizations, United States of America comes under our jurisdiction."

"What type of organization?" I ask narrowing my eyes at him.

"Mafia." He answers and watches my reaction closely.

"Like a crime organization?" I keep my tone and expressions calm.

I want to show them that I'm not overreacting from the information and I want to hear more. I want to know exactly how much they think I'm capable of digesting.

"Some might say that." As if it isn't true. "It's just a tag, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks of us." It does when you're committing crimes. "And you don't have anything to worry about, sweetheart. Don't think about it too much, the business should be last of your concern right now. You should focus on my grandkids instead."