Chapter 12

Previously

Previously

On

A Pirates Promise

That night, Hancock stood on deck as the island fell away. Salome coiled protectively beside her swollen belly as her baby kicked excitedly.

Gazing at the rising moon, Hancock whispered into the breeze, "see you soon, Luffy, I promise."

To be continued...

*Flashback* - Two Years Ago

Hancock sat in her room, absentmindedly flipping through a newspaper. The headlines screamed about the Marineford war, but her mind was elsewhere. Across the room, Luffy lay motionless, still recovering from the brutal battle. The news of Ace's death was a harsh reality they all had to face, but for Luffy, it hit way harder.

She had pulled some serious strings to get Luffy safely to the Island of Women. It wasn't an easy feat, especially with the Heart Pirates tagging along, but she was determined. "He needs to be here, where it's safe," she had insisted, putting her foot down with both her tribe and the Heart Pirates. It was rare for her to play the Empress card, but she'd do anything for Luffy.

The vibe in the palace was way different now. The usual laughter and hustle of the Kuja warriors were replaced with this somber, almost ghostly atmosphere. It was like everyone was walking on eggshells, respecting her decision to shelter Luffy.

Every night, Hancock found herself by Luffy's side, watching over him. She'd talk to him, even though he couldn't hear her. "Hang in there, Luffy. You've got so much to wake up for," she'd whisper, hoping her words could somehow reach him.

Elder Nyon would always find her there, trying to convince her to take a break. "Hancock, you need to rest too," she'd say, but Hancock was stubborn. "I can't leave him. What if he wakes up and I'm not here?" she'd reply, her voice a mix of worry and determination.

Back in her room, Hancock would often sit by the window, lost in her thoughts. She barely ate or spoke. Elder Nyon would try to get her to eat something, but Hancock just couldn't. She was too wrapped up in her worries for Luffy.

Two weeks had passed with Luffy out cold, but finally, there were signs of him stirring. It was like everyone was holding their breath, especially Hancock. She was by his side, day in, day out, hoping for just a flicker of his usual self.

Then it happened – Luffy's eyes flew open. But the Luffy that woke up was far from okay. His eyes were wild, panicked, full of confusion and pain. He looked around frantically, his voice filled with desperation. "Where's Ace?!"

The scene got intense real quick. Luffy started freaking out, thrashing around in the submarine. The Heart Pirates tried to calm him down, but Luffy was all over the place, knocking them away like they were nothing.