2. An Unexpected Visit

Monotony could be the death of a man. It compelled us to be still, and in being still, drew out our darkest thoughts, things we push down. Forcing us to have conversations with our demons.

Unless you had more angels than demons.

I was sprawled across my bed, book on my face and repeatedly sighing, the shocking revelation of my courtship lingering. I wasn't able to eat breakfast this morning and I wasn't hungry either. There was too much on my mind. Too much I wanted to make redundant, too much I wished I was ignorant of. Too much I didn't want to feel and wished I never did.

I tried not to think about yesterday and the announcement, but I failed. My heart wouldn't stop hammering and I couldn't keep still. I willed my mind to be empty but it disobeyed.

I covered my mouth and sat up as the feeling of nausea washed over me, panic setting in. The panic that I could fail this courtship with the prince or that I could do something uncalled for but, this feeling was futile. I had failed all my life, especially with my courtships. What was one more?

Beating my chest gently, I swallowed and took in some deep breaths, hoping an attack wasn't onset.

I opened my door to get some water and the commotion that greeted me was confusing. The maids were moving hurriedly, carrying flower vases, some curtains, switching out some pillows on the sofas......

I walked slowly, wearily, towards the dining table and poured myself a glass of water, taking in what was happening.

What was going on?

Thankfully, I saw Clara switching up some pillows and I hastened towards her. "Clara?" She looked at me up and down, blinking. "Why don't you wear one of your lovely dresses, the one that brings out your complexion. Or perhaps......." She place her arm above my chest, but not touching. "........an off the shoulder will be a better choice? Yes, it highlights your collarbones and neck."

I blinked at her but before I could speak she cut me off, calling for someone, "Bethan!"

The maid walked over, "Clara?" She greeted me and I responded with a smile. She returned it, her thin lips curling.

"What do you think will be a better choice for My Lady? Off shoulder? Puff? Frills? What color?" Clara's eyes never left my body, her hand still, taking measurements, I presumed.

Bethan glanced at me. For Clara to ask her meant she was well versed in ladies' fashion.

"An off shoulder will be a good choice but since its a first meeting, I suggest she wear a round neck so at least her neck and collarbones will still be shown. She can wear........" Bethan tapped her chin as Clara nodded slowly, as if she could make sense of what she heard. "........ her navy dress. The pretty one with bows and puffs." She beamed at me and it felt like a genuine choice.

Clara clapped, "Yes, yes. Thank you Bethan, your fashion sense is refreshing as always." she tapped Bethan on the shoulder and Bethan smiled, shyly. "I'll get back to work now."

Clara nodded. "You heard her now, go change. The Royal family may be here anytime soon."

What?

"Excuse me? Who?" I frowned.

"The Ki....." Clara stopped, "You were not told?" I shook my head and she sighed, "Of course you weren't told. Change into your best dress," she took my hands, "the royal family will be here anytime soon." She smiled but I could only blink at her.

"Hurry along, you don't want Lady Annabelle to scold you when they are here." she said turning me around.

I walked back upstairs to my room in a daze. Already? They were already coming here?