Chapter 32 - The Jaw

Start from the beginning

So the Jeagerists were there waiting for them, in full gear and stacked to the brim with resources, weaponry and munitions.

Perfect. Leah thought. Just- perfect.

Behind the cover of a cliff, the alliance suited up into ODM Gear. With the recent shift in power within the military, Leah hadn't be permitted to wear her gear for a while and so when it came to putting it on, her hands fumbled under pressure.

With Hange and Magath taking stock of the situation at the peak of the cliff, the rest of the alliance grouped for a pep talk. Leah stood off to the side, resting against the sandy stone with a leg bent and her arms crossed over her chest. Her gaze studied the cart in which Levi was still asleep.

"We have no choice but to kill them all with our first strike." Annie declared and instantly Leah's eyes narrowed, her head craning around to look at the blonde girl.

"That's the only way we can secure the flying boat. To pull this off everyone's gotta be in sync. We need our titan power and your fire power, understood?"

Leah scoffed, rolling her eyes at the authority in her voice. Leah's behaviour was childish, anyone could see that, but how could you blame her after what Annie did? "Just hold on a second." Connie muttered.

"What's the problem?" Annie's voice was impatient.

Connie sighed, looking away from the female's cold gaze and forcing Mikasa to continue for him. "The Jeagerists are holding all the Azumabito hostage. We need you keep them out of the line of fire."

"Uh- yeah, exactly." Connie stammered in agreement.

"You expect us to care about that? We won't protect people who have attacked our homeland just because they're your distant cousins."

Leah pushed herself from the rocks and marched straight at Annie, her brows drawn together. Annie took a step back but the Captain snagged a handful of her sweater and dragged her forward until their eyes met. "I don't think I remember anyone putting you in charge." Leah hissed in a dangerously low tone. Annie stared back, not a glimmer of fear or bother in her eyes.

"If you think we're going to let our only allies die because of some grudge you hold, think again-"

"Slow down, Annie. Leah's right, we can't be so ignorant. If the hostages are killed the rest of the plan falls apart. Right, Onyankopon?" As Pieck spoke, Leah sent Annie one last murderous glare before shoving her back and stalking away towards the cart Levi resided in.

"Yeah, we need 'em alive. I should be able to pilot their boat. But first we've gotta get it into flying shape. That's the problem. We need the mechanics to set up the wings. Otherwise, none of us are going to be flying anywhere. The wings are folded up to make it easier to tow, so they'll need to be extended and secured, and even then, there's still more to do before we can get airborne. The original plan was to hanger it 'til we had some pilots trained, so we're skipping a lot of steps. But they'll at least need some time to service it before take-off." Onyankopon explained.

"Start to finish, how long is it gonna take to service?" Reiner posed the question on everyone's minds. Time wasn't abundant and if they wanted to save humanity, they'd have to stop the rumbling sooner, rather than later.

"I couldn't say. It'll be up to the mechanics."

"I get it. But to confirm, you're asking us to protect the Azumabito technicians from the Jeagerists long enough to get the boat ready to fly. And let me guess, you want us to hold the enemy off for this unknown length of time, without killing any of them." Annie retorted.