" It's 7 PM, Rosie.. I'd think you'd have enough time to finish dinner a little earlier, you know. You barely do anything all day as it is.. " Nancy said as I placed the plate in front of her, and I gave a tight-lipped smile.

" Well.. I wasn't just doing nothing all day, and sometimes, Gavin comes a bit late from the office, so I don't want his food to get cold- "

" Oh, nonsense. You just want to make excuses for your laziness. A good wife should have dinner ready on time, regardless of her husband's schedule, " She interrupted me with a condescending tone and glared over at Gavin, who brought over the other two plates.

" Why don't you let Rosie take care of that son? It's her job, you know. " She said as he placed the plates where he and I would be sitting. As I placed his father's plate down, Gavin chuckled harmlessly.

" Just giving her a quick hand, mother.. " He said, laughing off her condescending demeanor, and I ignored them all as I walked toward the kitchen to grab the much-needed wine I'd taken out from the cellar as well as four wine glasses. Going back over to the dining room, I placed the wine glasses on the table, and much to his mother's dismay, Gavin released me from my server duties as he ushered me to sit in the seat beside him.

Soon, we began eating, and his father spoke to me for the first time today. "How's business, Rosenna? " He asked, and I finished a bite of mashed potatoes before speaking.

" Going pretty well, actually. I've got a few new clients and deals going, so it's a plus. " I muttered, ignoring Gavin's swig of wine as if to drown out the impending conversation.

" It's a lot of work, I'm sure. It makes me wonder if you are not too stretched thin, you know? We wouldn't want your relationship to be under pressure from this.. " Patrick continued, and Nancy inserted herself into the conversation as usual.

" What you really need to do is spend more time in the kitchen and cleaning up around here. The food is just okay, you know.. it could be better. " His mother chimed in, and following Gavin, I took a rather large gulp of my wine to help me bite back my tongue.

" How is a good wife going to juggle all of these responsibilities and commit to her role in the home? No wonder you aren't ready to have a child. " She said, and my eyes narrowed as I gazed at them longer.

" I'm sorry... What did you say? " I asked, and she sighed.

"It's a shame, really. Gavin told us all about how you denied having a child for him because you weren't ready and had to focus on your businesses before you made the commitment to having a baby. I mean, honestly, it's pretty selfish, you know. Depriving him of his future children and my future grandchildren. You aren't getting any younger, either. " She spoke, but I had genuinely blocked her out as my eyes were deadset on Gavin, who looked like a deer in headlights, caught in his lie. He couldn't even make any eye contact with me, which only made me feel more infuriated than I already was. 

♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎