Chapter 12: The Beginning of the End

Start from the beginning

As he stood outside his house in the dead of night, he couldn't stop shaking. His legs felt numb. The weight of the large gun across his shoulder felt like it was a hundred times heavier than usual. Heart pounding, the second thoughts kept him frozen in place. Maybe he couldn't kill them. Maybe he couldn't kill anyone, no matter how much he wanted to.

I'm doing this for her, he reminded himself. If this is what he needed to do to stay with you, he'd do it. Any possible chance of remaining by your side, he would take. He was unbearably in love with you and there was no stopping that.

With that final thought, he proceeded. "For _____."

After a few minutes, he stepped up to your house; it was three in the morning, gun strapped to his side. You already had your directions. Speaking on the phone with you, he prepared to say goodbye to these old days. "_____... I love you."

A muffled sound was heard in the background. "I... love you too, Allen..."

He stood with his back against the side of your house. He needed to let you know how much you meant to him before he did this. "No, I mean... I, really love you..." He took in a deep breath before he continued with a longing smile, "I wish I could explain how much, but you know I'm not good with words."

He paused. This was harder to say than he imagined. "I... love everything about you. Your personality, your smile, your eyes, your hair, your everything. You already know that a girl's body doesn't influence the way I see or think about her—so I don't like when you feel insecure about yours. I love you, okay? I think you're beautiful on the inside and out, and you're just this amazing chic that's totally out of my league and what the fuck how do I even deserve you?" He chuckled, "I'll say it again: I love you, dollface."

On the other end, you were quiet for a while. "That... means so much to me, thank you." Was all you managed to get out.

"This is what we've been waiting for. I knew it would happen eventually..."

Inside your room, you stopped listening to his voice for a while and glanced over to the sleeping figure across the bedroom.

Peter was slumbering peacefully. How could Allen have forgotten about him?

He hadn't brought him up a single time. None of this "we'll take him with us" that he'd promised you before.

Peter was your sweet, dear little brother that you adored with all your heart and loved like your own blood. He wasn't 'adoptive' to you and Allen knew that.

So, how could he have planned to run away with you if it didn't include him?

Even worse, you couldn't possibly imagine his reaction to waking up in the morning to find you gone and his foster parents murdered. And... equally important, Henry and Lauren had just begun to understand you, and you'd just barely gotten to understand them. For once, everything seemed right within your previously broken family.

...You knew what you had to do.

-D-E-A-D-L-Y-A-T-T-R-A-C-T-I-O-N-

Henry, Lauren, I love you.

Peter, I love you.

Things I'm afraid to tell you.

I told you.

I'm sorry for all that's happened.

I'll fix this, I will.

You looked up at your horrified parents. "—and he's coming to kill you both."