13. New family

The path was longer than Mirya had expected as she walked around what seemed to be the millionth curve.

"We're almost there," Lorelei promised.

"Why didn't we just teleport right to their house?" Mirya asked.

"Because we can't," she answered. "They put a force field around their property so that no one can get in with the guard's help."

So now there's force fields. First teleporting, and now force fields. What should I expect next?

Around the next corner, they came face to face with a huge figure.

He had two swords strapped to his back, and his skin was a shade of green. He has pointy ears and a short nose. His eyes were so dark brown that they looked black, and his fingers were clenched around a small throwing blade.

"Hello, Riol," Lorelei nodded to him. "I've brought Mirya. You've heard, I assume."

"Yes," Riol replied in a much-too-deep voice. "Welcome, Mirya. You can come in. Unfortunately, you," he gestured to Lorelei," cannot come in."

"I know."

Mirya watched Lorelei walk away, and once she disappeared around the bend, she turned to follow Riol through the gates.

The pathway lead upwards, and Mirya jumped when the gate slammed shut behind them.

"Follow me," Riol ordered.

Mirya nodded. There was a garden on either side of the path, and as the fog cleared, she could see all of the flowers and vines, and other plants. And the whole place was surrounded by the biggest trees she'd ever seen.

A movement on one side caught her attention, and she turned to look closer.

It was... Mirya had no idea. But it was cute.

It had brown fur that shined, blue eyes, and a long tail.

It's head was shaped kind of like a cat's, except it had huge, bat-like ears, and no whiskers. The size was no bigger than her hand, and it was obviously a baby. It's body was the shape of a racoon, she thought, and it's long fluffy tail was like a squirrel.

"Hurry up!" Riol called.

"Sorry!" She tried to pull her arm away from how close she'd come to petting it, but it jumped up and hung on to her sleeve tightly, purring.

"You like that, don't you," Mirya lifted him up. "But don't you have a family to h go to?"

It let out a squeaky sound, almost like a bark, almost like a meow, and almost like a racoon.

"Hurry! They're waiting!"

"I know, I know." She stood, and the... creature?.... jump on her neck and lay down.

Mirya didn't have time to take it off. She ran up the hill, and stopped to see two Iths.

One- the man- had brown hair and light brown eyes, and the other- the woman- had blond hair and blue eyes.

"Welcome, Mirya," the woman said. "I'm glad you could come."

"Yes," the man agreed. "First, you should meet our other children, then a tour, then you can get ready in your room."

"Get ready for what?" Mirya questioned.

"We need to bring you to the king," the woman answered. "Do he can approve of our adoption."

"Oh...okay," Mirya's heart thumped hard. "Then... we should start?"

"Yes. Do you know our names yet?"

"...no?"

"Oh. That's fine. I didn't expect anyone to tell you. I'm Soleil, and this is my wife, Carissa. Now come. Only a few of our kids are home right now, the rest are at a friend's."

Mirya walked after them as they entered the house/mansion. All the walls seemed to be made of crystal. But it wasn't see-through crystal. It was pure, white, shimmering crystal of this strange world.

"Kids! Mirya is here!" Carissa had a strong voice for the petite woman she was.

There was some loud thumping upstairs, then five Iths stumbled into the room.

One of them looked no older than four.

"Mirya, these are Everest," Carissa pointed at the four-year-old girl who had brown hair. "Indigo," the maybe eight-year-old girl who looked nothing like any of the rest with her black hair and green eyes, "Rockwell," the about ten-year-old boy that looked like a young version of Soleil, "Malena," the blond-haired, brown eyed girl who looked about twelve, "and Willis," the last was a boy, about maybe thirteen or fourteen. He had blond hair as well as-

Amber eyes.

"I-is something wrong?" Soleil asked.

"No," Mirya answered.

"Mama!" Everest shouted. "She looks like Claramae!"

"Who's Claramae?"

"Claramae is... our eldest daughter," Caressa looked down. "She disappeared two years ago."

"Random change of subject," Malena broke in. "I see you've found a baby Emestrei."

Mirya only then remembered about the small creature still hanging to her neck. "Oh, that's what he is? He kinda just... clung to me."

"Yeah, I've heard of baby Emestreis doing that before," Caressa nodded, reaching her hand out to pet the small creature. "He probably won't leave you now."

"No, he won't," Soleil shook his head. "And we don't have time to give you a tour. The king is expecting you in about twenty minutes."

I'm sorry that it took so long to write this chapter. I had writer's block for a while. Then I was busy. But here it is! I hope you enjoyed reading it!
And the picture is of the Emestrei (obviously)