Parting ways

Meerab hated Murtasim to the core. No matter what he did, it seemed to be not enough for her. She held him accountable for her every misfortune. She firmly believed him as her problem.

Murtasim, being Murtasim, fell in love with 18 years old Meerab only to realise that maybe she will never reprocite his feelings. But destiny played its game, and he is her husband now.

Murtasim did everything he could just to make Meerab comfortable. Obeyed all her demands. But no available. She never even tried to open her doors of heart.

It happened one day when Murtasim had a severe backpain all because of an uncomfortable sofa. Even though he had a little bit of fever, too. With much difficulty and hesitation, he asked Meerab if he could sleep on the bed for that night.

But Meerab, being Meerab, ignored him and taunted him to be an attention seeker and dismissed his plea. He, with a heavy heart, tried to sleep on that uncomfortable couch. As time lapses, his fever increases. As he was having back pain, it became unbearable for him. He glared in discomfort. That caught Meerab attention. She went to him.

"Murtasim, what happened?" As she kept her hand on his forehead, she was shocked. He was burning in fever.

"Ya Allah. You have a fever. Murtasim. You are burning." She was frantic. She knew she had to take him to the bed, although it seemed illogical at that moment

"Just try a little bit to stand, please. We will be on the bed. Please, Murtasim." With very difficulty, she made it to the bed. And ran to the kitchen to fetch some cold water, and a cloth. She dipped the piece of cloth in the water and kept it on his forehead. He was still in discomfort. So slowly, she took his head and placed it on her lap. She kept changing the cloth. She even opened his shirt to wipe his upper body with cold water.

After almost 2 hours, his body temperature seemed to go back to normal. She suddenly remembered back pain. So she rubbed pain relief on his back. She slowly lay on her back and kept his head on her chest, and kept massaging his head.

It was almost 8 am. Meerab dialled the kitchen intercom to ask them to make soup for Murtasim. She sighed. She knew she had feelings for him. But yesterday night, it felt her breathing would stop if he didn't get better. She couldn't believe herself that her feelings for him were that much deep. She loved him. Her husband. And that realisation left her giddy. She tightened her hold on him and hugged him closer.

It was two days after that incident. Meerab took good care of Murtasim. And Murtasim was surprised. He didn't think he could be this lucky.  But he knew Meerab would start ignoring him as soon as he was healed. So, with a heavy heart, he wanted to have this conversation with her.

"Meerab, we need to talk."

"Haan, bolo." She was pouring chai in cups.

"I think we should get separated. I mean, you feel.. trapped here, you don't even love me, never wanted to accept me aa your husband. I understand all of this. I was forced on you. A life you never wanted. So I guess this is the best decision." Although he said these, he was shivering. He had to get out of there. To cry, to clam himself down.

"But you said you loved me."

"I still do. But I realised love is not about force. You can always have what you want Meerab. You don't love me, so you don't have to be forced." With that, he tried to get away from there. Each step felt painful and unbearable.

To his utter surprise, Meerab hugged him from back tightly. Tears dropped from his eyes.

"You love me, then why are you letting me go? You are Murtasim. You are not supposed to do that. Why?"

"Tell me one thing, you want me to leave. Phir shaadi karoge?  Kisko?"

"Meerab!" Murtasim turned around and held her closely.

"Ha? I will kill her. You will marry Haya? Usko hi maar dalungi."

"Meerab, calm down. I am not marrying Haya. Please, you will get a headache."

"Headache? Huh. Heartache nazar nhi ata tumhe?" Her nails dig on his skin. Soon, she tiptoed on her fingers and gave Murtasim a  hard bite.

"You are mine. Murtasim Khan is just mine. No one is  gonna look at the way I do. I will bury them alive, do you understand? I love you stupid. Sab chor k Chale gaye aab tum bhi jana chahte ho . I am not expressive like you. I am afraid. I fear everything. That I will say and you will leave me. And you are turning them right. I know I am stupid. I  have abdonment issues. I always feel like everyone will eventually leave me. I oppose this rewaets because I don't understand anything. But I want to understand them. Mera dam ghut raha hai Murtasim." Her knees gave up, and they sat on the floor.

"Meri Meerab, please chup kar jao. No one will say anything to you. You are Meerab, himmatwali, hausle wali. Please don't cry."

"You are  leaving me."

"No, meri jaan. I am not leaving you. Please clam down. I love you, and I trust you. It's just that you always say you feel
suffocated in this house, you don't consider me aa your husband. So I thought you would be happy without me. But now I know my Meerab loves me. And I will never let you go. We will always be together. I love you, caramel."

"You are mine."

"Stamp mar lo. Koi masla nhi hai mujhe." With that, he softly kissed her. They kissed until they were breathless.

As Meerab hugged him tightly, he kept watching her beautiful face. He carried her to the bed, and they peacefully slept. As Meerab cried a lot, she surely would have a  headache.

Anwar knocked on their door multiple time. But with no response from them, he came inside just to see his daughter almost totally on his son in law peacefully sleeping. He took his file and left.

As they sat for lunch, ma begum asked him about his absence in today meeting which he totally forgot. Just as he was about to make an excuse,  Haya pointed out about the red bruise on his neck.

"What happened on your neck, Murtasim?" His eyes involuntary grew wide, and he looked at his wife, who was the culprit.

"Nothing. Tumhe kya hai?"

"Haya samjha karo, kisine bare hi pyaar se .." Maryum laughed as Murtasim glared at her.

Life will be better with the man she married, it seems, was what Meerab thought.

Feedback please. <33333