14 » ❝Getting Ready❞

Start from the beginning

        And suddenly, she feels really stupid. Not because she should've seen it coming - which she did, to be fair - but because she could've tried harder to help, instead of doing her best to ignore it just because she'd never been Mackenna's biggest fan. She already knew that Mackenna was a nightmare, and although she couldn't exactly outright tell Parker that, she could've at least tried to help him a bit. He's never failed to stick up for her, after all. 

        This is why she straightens up, and takes Patrice's advice on what it means to be a friend - because a friend is a person who, most of all, cares about what you feel. "Get a pencil," Scarlett instructs, digging through her bag for a pad of paper. When Parker stares over at her with confused eyes, she nods to his own backpack, and he does as told. "Here," she says, tossing the pad of paper over at him, even though he isn't looking.

        Which proceeds to whip him straight in the face. "Sorry!" Scarlett squeaks, and Parker laughs it off.

        "What's the point of this, exactly?" Parker asks, intrigued.

        "Shut up and take notes," Scarlett teases, "I'm being a good friend, that's the point." She takes a seat beside him at the edge of the stage and watches as he uncaps his pen. "Now, what colour is Mackenna's dress?" she asks.

        "What? What does that have to do with-"

        "Just answer the question."

        "Black."

        "Then it doesn't matter what colour tie you wear. Anything goes with black."

        "Anything Goes reference?"

        "Happy coincidence, but you get brownie points for noticing it," Scarlett laughs, and Parker jots down any tie will do, and she refrains from pointing out his almost-Joseph reference. "What time does she want you to pick her up?" she asks.

        "Uh, seven thirty, I think," Parker recites.

        Scarlett arches a brow. "Doesn't the dance start at seven?"

        "Yeah, but she wants to go later. Something about being fashionably late, I think."

        Scarlett refrains from rolling her eyes. "Alright, well, just pick her up at exactly seven. If you come earlier, she'll yell at you because she probably won't be finished getting ready. Come later, and she'll yell at you for being late."

        "Wow," Parker comments as he takes notes, "you're good at this."

        This time Scarlett really does roll her eyes. "What about the corsage?"

        "What about the corsage?"

        "Did you get one yet?"

        "Well, not exactly..."

        "What does that mean?"

        Parker sighs. "It means that I haven't gotten one yet," he confirms.

        "When were you planning on getting it?" Scarlett asks, trying not to laugh - Parker's never been good with deadlines, so she's not really that surprised that he's left getting the corsage (the one thing Mackenna would probably be most angry about if he'd forgotten) to the last minute.

        "Well, I offered to make one, but she said no."

        Scarlett looks unconvinced. "You can make corsages?" she questions.