"I don't think it's any of your business when she clearly said she wants to talk to dad about it." Rhyett snaps at Julian.

My eldest has always been the one in complete control of his emotions. He never flares up. But since this morning, he seems a bit off.

Rhyett has always been the most rational and punctual. He always prefers to be the one in charge. Ever since he joined the company; six years ago he has taken very few days off.

He never takes a day off unless it's absolutely necessary, especially not when he still has work pending —like he does today. But still he suddenly wanted to stay home for some reason.

I know something is troubling him, he has been checking his phone since the morning. He hasn't even bothered to put some jeans on and came for breakfast in sweatpants.

This isn't how he usually is.

"Rhyett," He looks up at me from where he's seated next to Adeline. I still don't understand why he took Cyrus' seat. "I think we should discuss the underground construction project before I leave."

There's nothing left to talk about that deal, we already have it sorted and we both know it. It's just an excuse to talk to him. I can't just point out his weird behavior in front of everyone.

"Sure."

He gets up and shoves his phone in his pocket before silently following me to my office. But not before making sure his remaining four brothers have left the room, leaving Adeline alone to eat in peace.

I twist the key and open the door. I keep many of my legal and illegal business records here, hence it's a good idea to keep it under a lock.

The brown oak creeks as I step inside. I never got the irritating wood fixed, I don't trust worker to come in here. There's much some confidential stuff that'll easily be worth more than their lives.

But I avoid unnecessary bloodshed.

It's no fun when they can't even fight back.

My bedroom —that house memories of my ex-wife— along with my office is still the same as it was twenty five years ago when Mary and I bought it —for our second anniversary shortly after we had our first child.

Rhyett closes the door and takes barely three steps in. I lean on the desk and ask, "What's up with you today?"

"I told you already, I'm fine. I just want to stay home today, that's it." He knows I'm not talking about his leave from work.

I shake my head. "What happened? Why are you pissed at everyone?"

"They're annoying." He looks away, not enjoying the conversation.

His brothers have always been annoying according to him. But he's never snapped on them repeatedly in the same day.

"Is it something related to Valerie?" His eyes momentarily flicker like they always do whenever she's brought up.

"That's over, dad. We've both moved on."

"Then tell me this has nothing to do with your drive with Adeline last night."

His gaze return to me again and he's more calm now. "It doesn't."

That's how my son avoids telling the truth. He'd drop all the anger and irritation before relaxing and uttering the most blunt lie.

It's commendable when he does that to other people but I don't appreciate it a slightest bit when it's directed to me.

"Do you guys not realize I'm her father?" Rhyett regards me with patience as I continue. "If there's anyone who cares for her the most in this house, it's me."