1.

Only the best of food is always in high demand.

This season, boar, hare, and whatever else small is what you would most likely find while hunting. Deer? Maybe. If you were lucky.

Unless my master or my brother are with me, I am not allowed to go hunting. I was allowed to. But then, some loner farm hand from another village tried to have his way... only to have his head sliced in half. Since then, I am stuck in whatever village with the majority of eyes on me at all times.

Given the circumstances, I understand. However, it should be this way for all women. We should all be heavily guarded against the evil that are around us and will continue to come around us.

But even evil is a part of our allies. Even though it makes no sense, it is still my life.
My name is Dagomara. I am a herbalist, among many other things. Things that I do not wish to discuss. For my sanity.

Today is a Saturday. It was a bright and sunny day whenever we had first arrived in the Faroe Islands. But now it is gloomy, foggy, and I am the only one here that has some sort of sorrow and regret for what we had to do in order to claim this village as our own for right now.

I had fallen back as the men around me had been ordered to kill Vikings, and many others in order to take this land. I was expected to kill as well. I did kill. Only to defend myself when some of the people thought I was trying to help out. I only kill to defend myself or loved ones. Or when we are threatened.

Or very much outnumbered.

These were my options; Tag along, for whatever we are supposed to be doing, or stay at home, hold down the small fort, but watch as my friends, slaves, had gotten whipped and—...
I sighed. I hate even thinking about it.

The latter? I couldn't have just told them no. I would have to be smart enough to find a good hiding spot until my master and his men looked for me, then decided to give up and leave. I definitely tried, only to anger them.

I despised going on long trips. Ever since I was little. The swaying of the boats, the smell of the water. I had thrown up several times between leaving home and coming here. I still had no choice. My suffering was funny to some of the men, and then a couple of death glares from my allies in the group, and sometimes even me, would quickly silence them.

I finished wiping the blood from the now deceased villagers off of my arms and legs, and stared at my reflection in the water. "Missed a spot," I whispered, before taking a wet cloth and wiping it across my nose.

The sounds of laughter and hollering from behind me made me feel like shit even more. How do none of these men feel guilty for what they've done? "The life of a Viking", huh?

"Get up, woman." I turned around to see a man from the Master's group standing over me. "Yes?" I asked.

"Askeladd is asking that you be with him during his talk with Floki," is what he said to me before walking away. I took a deep breath through my nose. Multiple pairs of eyes were on me while walking towards the only house not covered in a sheet. I tried to ignore the cries of the Christian Priest that some of the men were punishing for simply being a Christian Priest.

Our people follow and pray to Odin. If one of us didn't, we had better not be proud of it enough to brag about that to the others. Or else we would end up like the Priest. Begging for his life as men just laugh at him and make bets on who can chop off which body part the best.

More points the louder he cries.

"You called for me, Master Askeladd?"

There he was without a care in the world. Legs crossed on the table, wine horn in hand. All he ever needed after killing dozens of people was a nice drink. I guess when you have lived a life like his, you stop caring after a while. I believe Master Askeladd is in his thirties. In my opinion, he certainly doesn't look it... yet.