“Someone missed me.” He chuckled and kissed my hair.

“Stop trying to steal my dad.” Josh loved to quarrel with me.

“Then you stay the fudge away from my mom.” I sassed back.

“Well…..” George tilted his head putting me down. “There's this new ice cream parlor down the block…. If you two are done fighting then how about we go and see if they're really up to the mark?”

Josh and I immediately rushed to grab our phones and raced to the car to claim the passenger seat. I got in first and mom took the backseat with Josh as George started driving.

The whole ride Josh and I kept bickering and our parents laughed at all our silly comebacks. Once there, we chose our flavors from the menu and Josh got out with George to get the order.

“You know I love our family time. We should make more spontaneous plans like this.” I happily commented looking back at mom.

“I'm glad you're happy. He’s really a great father.” Mom said smiling back.

“He is. There couldn't be anyone better.” At that, she fell silent.

“Mom?” I frowned at her lack of response. “What happened?”

“Do you ever wonder what our life would’ve been like if your father… if he was here with us?”

This is the first time mom had talked about him herself. My father has always been a forbidden topic in our home.

I don't even know his name. I just know that he died before I was born. She said he was a good man but everytime I asked questions, she had brief and vague replies.

“Why imagine our life with a dead man?”

I didn't mean for it to come out so rude but it felt weird to talk about him now that I just got the family I always wanted.

It has barely been two months since mom and George got married after a year of dating. My life has been perfect ever since.

George was the father I always wanted and Josh filled in the shoes of an older brother and a best friend.

“You still miss him?” I asked after a minute of listening to the car’s engine.

“More than you could imagine.” She was looking out the window now.

“Do you love George?”

Silence.

I waited for her. One minute. Two minutes. Three minutes. But she never said a word.

“Mom?”

“He’s a great father.” That's all she said before the doors were opened and Josh handed us both our ice creams.

“They were out of blueberry so I got chocolate instead. And the shit shop didn't even have sprinkles.” Josh huffed before getting scolded for his poor choice of words.

Mom and I were both quiet throughout the ride back home. She knew what she said and I understood what it meant.

Her words stung like an open wound. Something I can't do anything of. I was helpless as the damage was already done.

My mother prioritized me over herself. She chose George because he was fit to play my father. She knew I always wanted a father even if I didn't need one.

She only married for me.

And I wish she hadn't.

                            ————