Part 17 KATHRYN'S APARTMENT - NIGHT

KATHRYN's birthday celebration is in full swing. The atmosphere is lively, with friends laughing and enjoying the festivities. However, the mood changes as DANIEL unexpectedly arrives at the party.

DANIEL: (awkwardly) Hey, Kath. I thought I'd surprise you. Happy birthday!

KATHRYN: (tense) Daniel, I didn't invite you. I wanted it to be a small gathering.

Despite Kathryn's attempt to keep things simple, Daniel brushes off her concern.

DANIEL: (insistent) Come on, Kath. I wanted to be here for your special day.

Kathryn feels a mix of frustration and discomfort as Daniel mingles with the guests.

Later in the evening, the party continues, and a lively dance floor forms. Kathryn finds herself dancing with ALDEN, enjoying the moment.

DANIEL: (watching from afar) What's going on here?

Daniel's expression darkens as he sees Kathryn and Alden sharing a dance.

ALDEN: (noticing Daniel) Kath, I think Daniel's looking at us.

KATHRYN: (sighs) This is not what I wanted. Let's just keep dancing.

As Kathryn and Alden try to enjoy the celebration, the tension in the room becomes palpable.

DANIEL: (approaching) Mind if I cut in?

KATHRYN: (frustrated) Daniel, this isn't the time.

Despite Kathryn's reluctance, Daniel steps in, interrupting the dance between her and Alden.

DANIEL: (defiant) We used to dance like this, remember?

KATHRYN: (uncomfortable) Daniel, please...

The room falls silent as the three of them navigate the awkward dynamic, the strains of an unintended love triangle becoming more apparent.