Chapter 153: Real Life Isn't So Simple

Start from the beginning

"E'lyn an' 'Ian," he agrees, nodding.

Mummy frowns, which he doesn't like, but he also doesn't know why she's upset.

"Do you play with anyone else?" She asks him, squeezing shampoo into her hands.

This is the one part of bath time that Scorpius does not like, but he's talking with Mummy, so he doesn't mind too much.

"Dona," Scorpius says as his mother lathers up his curls.

"Who's Dona?" She asks him.

Scorpius shrugs. He doesn't know who Jonah is; it's just that they play together sometimes, usually in the garden, since Evelyn and Vivian don't like mud.

"Well, soon, you'll have someone to play with at home, too," Mummy reminds him.

"Baby?" Scorpius asks. Mummy and Daddy keep talking about the baby that will live with them, but Scorpius isn't convinced.

"Yeah, once they're older, they'll be able to play with you all the time. Won't that be nice? Having a friend at home," Mummy continues.

Scorpius shakes his head. "No, mama, dada, sorpus an' mi'y."

Mummy sighs as she cups her hand around his eyes and rinses the shampoo from his hair. "Mummy, Daddy and Mitty will always love you, and we'll always be a family. The baby's just going to make our family a little bigger."

Scorpius shakes his head again, splashing water on his mother again, but she doesn't laugh. Instead, she moves on, conditioning his hair and washing him with a soft cloth. Even though Mummy's smile is now sad, they still have their cuddle time in the rocking chair while he dries in a large, fluffy towel. Scorpius snuggles against his mummy's chest, enjoying the contact and warmth.

After five minutes, Mummy gets Scorpius dressed in trousers and a cosy jumper, then carries him to her and Daddy's bedroom. Scorpius enjoys rolling around on his parents' massive bed while his mummy gets dressed.

"Oh, we're going to be late, Scorpius," Mummy tells him as she rushes around her bedroom, collecting her boots and coat. "I still need to pack your bag."

Scorpius slides off the bed, wanting to help his mummy. In his bedroom, he grabs his bag and starts shoving clean nappies inside. Then he finds his favourite pair of boots and tries to get his feet inside correctly, but they just won't fit. That's how Mummy finds him when she enters his bedroom: Scorpius sits on the rug, his feet half inside his boots and his open bag, which is overstuffed with nappies.

Mummy's smile returns as she scoops him onto her lap on the rocking horse.

"You're such a clever boy, Scorpius," she tells him as she twists the boots onto his feet. "Go get your coat."

Scorpius does as he's told while Mummy repacks his bag with a few things he had forgotten. Once again, he holds his mummy's hand as they walk downstairs together and into the floo room. However, Scorpius pulls his arm free when she picks up his shrunken pushchair.

"No, pus'tair," he orders, crossing his arms angrily.

"Scorpius, we've got a lot of walking this afternoon, and your legs are only small. You'll get tired, and I can't carry you anymore," Mummy explains, but he's not having it. He stomps his foot. Mummy gasps, "That's enough of that. I know you're frustrated, but sometimes you have to use your pushchair. Okay?"

Scorpius' face is still scrunched up. "No, tay."

Mummy shakes her head as she takes his hand. "We need to go. I'm not arguing with you, Scorpius."

Knowing they're about to floo somewhere, Scorpius grips his mummy's hand tightly and wraps his other hand around her leg. He's used the floo many times with Mummy and Daddy but still finds it scary. Thankfully, it's quick, and before he knows it, they're in The Leaky Cauldron. His mother quickly enlarges his pushchair and places him in the seat. Scorpius huffs with disapproval as his mummy fastens him inside. However, his mood is quickly fixed when Mummy passes him one of his toddler books.