Chapter 17: Who's The New Chick Part 1

James and Jen managed to go through the rest of the day without mentioning anything that happened at the bar. But his words never left her mind.

"I really enjoyed that kiss last night."

"I can't lie, it makes me so jealous that you let him do these things to you."

"I would look out the music door window and watch you with Chad. Fuck Jen, it's so hard for me."

Did he really mean it? Why would he lie? He had no reason to.

Grabbing the last yogurt from her side of the mini-fridge, Jen placed it on her desk and ate it straight from the container with a plastic fork. She didn't want to waste any food before they unplugged the fridge.

Suddenly, James slammed his book shut with a resounding thud, the noise jolting Jen from her own thoughts. He flicked off his closet light and retreated to his bed without so much as a glance her way. She watched him with his back turned towards her, hugging his pillow.

She should say something to him. Jen knew he must be feeling unsure after his confessions tonight, now afraid to address them. Instead, Jen disposed of her yogurt in the trash and switched off her closet light before getting into her own bed and going to sleep.

As usual, James was gone the next morning. She slid on her shower shoes, grabbed her toothbrush, and cracked the door as she went to brush her teeth. She walked back to her room, shut the door, and laid down in bed, to read a romance.

Just as she finished the tenth chapter, James walked back inside with his gym bag. He threw it in the corner of his room and looked up at Jen, who was leaning against her headboard with her back turned to him.

"Do you want to practice today?" James asked, breaking the silence. It was good timing. Neither of them had classes today, and Jen wasn't leaving until later.

"No, there's no point. I think I'm confident enough," Jen said, turning to the next page of her romance book. Chad hadn't texted her to ask for another date.

"Oh, sure," James said, a little disappointed. He was mad horny with Jen sitting in bed, reading romance with her little silk slip-on.  At this point, it feels like she's just trying to torture him. Every time he sees her in it, he thinks about their first kiss and how many opportunities he's had to go further. James sighed before he opened the book from yesterday, put on his reading glasses, and grabbed his pen.

Jen closed her book, trying to push thoughts of Chad and the pain away. Maybe he had decided she wasn't as interesting. The other girl probably had won him over already.

Internally groaning, Jen thought about the challenge. It was so stupid. She was supposed to make his heart skip a beat, but she rarely saw him. He ignored her at the bowling alley, and he was the one arranging the meetings. It all seemed so unfair.

When a tear threatened to escape Jen's eyes, she pressed her eyelids shut. Forget about it, Jen. It's not a big deal. She could wait a few more hours until she could cry in her New Orleans room.

"Are you hungry?" James randomly asked.

She was starving.

"A little," Jen said, dismissing her tears.

"Do you want to walk to the student union?" he asked.

"Oh yeah, sure. I just need to get dressed," Jen said, suddenly feeling okay.

"I'll meet you outside," James said before he walked out and shut the door. Jen threw on a pair of pants and an oversized hoodie before she grabbed her wallet and heading out.

He wasn't kidding when he said he wanted to walk. Jen giggled to herself. "I didn't know you walked to the union."

"It gives me more time," James shrugged.

"More time? For what?" Jen asked, looking out the corner of her eye. Please don't ask me about the bar entanglement. Please don't ask.

"What happened at the bar..." James started. Jen squeezed her eyes shut. "I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable. I was just in the moment."

Oh. Jen slightly frowned and shook her head. "No, it's fine. I get it." Pain shot to her heart. She wasn't uncomfortable at all. In fact, it's probably the hottest thing that ever happened to her. But she can't get herself to tell him that, and she doesn't know why. Maybe she liked the push-and-pull of the relationship, the playful banter, but she also can't stop thinking about Chad. And yet, knowing that James thought she was uncomfortable, hurt her.

"But I think we've moved on from our childish antics in the beginning," James said

"Your childish antics," Jen corrected.

James smirked, "either way, I consider you a friend." Jen smiled.

"Also, are you sure you don't want to practice later...?" James asked, studying her expression. Her nose crinkled.

"I told you, I don't need it. I'm confident enough,"
Jen claimed.

They had just passed the College of Business when a tall girl started walking up to them, smiling brightly. Her skin was fair, and she had platinum blonde hair, amber eyebrows, and green eyes that made her look dreamy and light. She wore a cotton blue dress, with black earrings.

Jen admired the model-like girl walking. But James stopped in his trance, his eyebrows tensed as if he were trying to identify the pretty face in front of him.

"James?" Jen asked, stopping in her path. As she looked back at James, he didn't hear her, nor did he move.

The girl tightened her hold on her handbag and skipped the rest of the way to James before stopping abruptly and grinning widely. Jen tilted her head. Who is she?

"Ana?" James finally spoke, the lizard part of the male brain showing on his face.

"James," she smiled, wider than possible.

"Ana... what are you doing here?" James stammered. His eyes widened like a deer caught in headlights, his mouth falling agape after every word. Shallow breaths escaped him, betraying the shock coursing through him at Ana's unexpected appearance.

"I've been looking for you. I joined the fashion program here!" Ana went on, "I asked everyone. The bus driver, the public toilet cleaner, the convenience store workers. They all knew you. Finally, I found some guy working at the bowling alley and he pointed me in the right direction. Told me not to be startled."

She turned her head to Jen, who stood a few feet away with her arms crossed over her chest. The space between Jen's eyebrows formed a line as she tensed, her gaze fixed on James. His body faced Ana, so still that you would think his shoes were glued to the floor.
"You must be his roommate," she said, holding her hand out for Jen to shake. They shook hands. "I'm Ana."

"Jen," she replied. Ana's hands felt smooth, like royalty.

"Anyways, I have something to tell James. It's important. Would you mind, Jen?" Ana asked.

James's eyes didn't leave Ana. After all of these years of healing and denial, she shows up. It didn't seem real. She hadn't changed. She still wore expensive outfits while remaining loyal to the dirty shoes she had since primary school.

"Of course not. I see this fool every day. Take him for as long as you like," Jen said, trying to hide any fear she was feeling.

"It's important," Ana stressed to James.

"I-I can't. I promised Jen I'd go to the union with her," James responded, his eyes finally shifting back to Jen.

"No! Seriously. Go, James! I'll see you later! Seriously! See, I'm walking. Walking away!" Jen falsely encouraged as she began walking in the direction of the union. She waved goodbye to both of them, took a glance behind her, and saw Ana and James walking to the parking lot, presumably to Ana's car.

Jen couldn't eat. She was no longer hungry. She took a detour back to her dorm room and decided to finish some more prep work before her flight took off at 9 pm.