I don't usually flinch but when I constantly live in the fear of thinking I'm gonna unintentionally get my baby hurt —by myself or someone else— I developed a habit of always being extra careful.

It doesn't help that the memories of that damned day always come creeping back to me, disrupting my peace —that I so desperately try to achieve everyday but fail.

My hand instantly goes to my stomach protectively as I whip my head to Cyrus with a visible shock and fear present in my expressions.

He looks surprised by my reaction and shifts back on his seat to give me some much needed space. If anyone else noticed my overreaction, none thankfully commented.

"Adeline." I hear Lucius call and turn to face him. "Please stop crying. Altas didn't mean any of it and he will certainly not repeat it again." He swiped his gaze to Altas as a warning before bringing it back to me. "You looked really cute sleeping and you're not lazy. Don't let him tell you otherwise."

Father dearest’s formal tone makes it worse. It seems like he's saying it just to make me feel better. It's embarrassing and my brain isn't letting me justify my childishness with the stupid hormones.

I hum feeling mentally tired by this quarrel. Lucius urges me to start eating and I do just that. Maybe food can make me feel better?

"Oh so no verbal answers rule for the favorite child?" Julian scoffs and downs the whole glass of wine in his hand.

I think much of his dislike for me roots from the difference of treatment between them and me. Even though it's not my fault, I can understand why he would be mad about it.

I don't feel Lucius treats me better than them. I haven't even had a single bonding or loving conversation with him. But the fact that he decided to let mom go —despite being obsessed with her— because of me, does says something about his affection for me.

But the thing is, this decision messed up all of our lives, atleast the present —because I had a good upbringing and I'm assuming Lucius treated my brothers well too.

He and mom didn't have any right to deprive their children of one parent. Just as I lacked a father —until George stepped in— I'm sure my brothers needed a mother too, especially when they had one in their childhood.

I, on one hand never knew what it's like to have a father but my brothers were told that their mother died. It was such a cruel thing to do.

I understand why mom would often cry herself to sleep. The guilt was eating her out. I wonder if Lucius ever regrets his decision.

"When will you be back?" Ewan asks and I finally tune back in the conversation.

"Thursday, next week." Cyrus replies.

Curiosity got the better of me and I decided to butt in. "Where are you going?"

"London."

"Why?" I should better stop asking more questions, I'm definitely meddling in his personal matter. "I mean... you must be going for work, right?"

"No. I'm going to meet my fiance."

Now that's some shocking news. I had no idea my brother was engaged. I don't know why I believe he was supposed to inform me about it but I got extremely offended.

"You have a fiance and you didn't tell me?" My voice was just as shocked as I was.

"It was never brought up. I didn't mean to hide it from you." Cyrus didn't need to explain but he did.

"Ok... But I'd love to see a photo of her. And what's her name by the way? What does she do? Also, why isn't there any news of it online? Are you guys keeping it a secret?" I nearly slide off my seat towards his and my eyes lit up in pure enthusiasm as I continue. "Are you guys doing long-distance? And how did you guys meet?"