"And this is my house, I'm the president." Yeji told them, opening the door and walking in.

There were three guys in the living room, the rest in the backyard, grilling. When we went out into the backyard, some heads turned toward us.

I saw Jake's eyes land on me, then on my mom, then on my dad. And that's when his eyebrows raised in the air, a smile spread across his face.

"No." I muttered to him, holding up a finger. "NO!"

"Yasss." He said in response, before
handing his beer to Bryan, who
was talking to Maddie. He walked over to us.

"Hi! Hi! You must be Ryu's parents!"

"Hi." purred my mom, shaking Jake's hand.

"And you must be Ryu's daddy... I can see who she gets her good looks." Jake said and my mom turned me.

"Is he g-?"

"Yes."

"Oh."

"But there are a dozen other
straight guys here if you want to take your pick."

I said and she was surprised. Why was she so surprised? She was the one throwing herself at all these
guys.

After introducing her to everyone I knew, Zayn asked us if we wanted something to eat. My mom said no, but Yeji and I said yes.

"Are you sure?" My mom asked
after I filled a paper plate with chicken and potatoes.

"Yes, why?" I asked, having a really awful feeling in the pit of my stomach.

"Because you've put on a little weight."

"What?"

"A piercing isn't really appropriate for a muffin." She said pressing her fingernail my bare stomach.

My eyelashes fluttered, and I was embarrassed that everyone could probably hear it.

"Oh." was all I managed to say.

I felt my heart starting to beat faster and I wanted to get away from her before she started insulting me in front of everyone.

My mom gave me a "don't mess with me" look, before she turned around and swung her hips towards my dad.

I put my head down and tried to ignore her voice that kept repeating over and over in my head.

You've put on a little weight...

I bit my lip and grabbed a plastic fork from the table, sticking it into a piece of chicken. I turned away from my mother, who was taking a drink offered to me by a frat boy.

I tried to pretend I was listening to Maddie and Bryan's conversation, but I failed because my mother's words kept repeating itself.

I saw Yeji taking a step toward me, with a bottle of beer in her hand, in with her other hand she wrapped around my neck as she stopped behind me to place her chin on the top of my head.

Her right hand rested on my bare stomach, patting there, exactly the same place where my mother's finger pressed.

I leaned against her chest and she gave me a kiss on my temple.

"Don't listen to your mom, you're
You're perfect." She whispered so only I could hear her.

My heart suddenly felt warmer and I smiled.

Who cares what my mother thinks
mother thinks as long as I have Yeji who likes me just the way I am?

I felt really weird and bad about this situation, so I decided to put the plate back on the table and go
chat with Zayn, who was alone at the table, drinking water and smoking a cigarette.