six of diamonds

In case you missed it- I posted chapter 7 on Monday! Check that one out first ;)

.

"For fuck's sake, you stayed up all night reading again, didn't you?"

"No," you protest, but then you yawn, which doesn't help your argument. Levi just sighs as you continue, stifling your yawn, "it's not my fault the books were good!"

He frowns at you. "Books, plural."

"Well, yeah. The first book ended on a massive cliffhanger, so I went to the second book, which also ended on a ridiculously mean cliffhanger. So I hunted around for the third book, but apparently I didn't grab it? Which is impossible, I would've grabbed it. So either the third book just wasn't in the store, or- oh my god!"

"Oh my god," Levi mutters.

You zip back into your room and seize your book, dashing back out of your room. "Do these things have publishing dates?" you ask, flipping it over in your hands. "What if the third book's not out yet? And it'll never come out?"

You can't find a date. You look up to Levi, who looks unimpressed. "Somehow, you'll survive," he deadpans.

"I will not!" you insist. "Levi, this is my worst nightmare."

Levi takes the book from you. For a second, you think he's going to try and look for the publishing date, but instead, he smacks you on the head with the book. Granted, it's gentle, but it's also hard cover. "You're an idiot."

"This is a genuine concern to the masses," you say, glaring at him and rubbing the spot on your head where he hit you. "Your lack of sympathy is awful."

"Rest up. Game tonight."

Goosebumps erupt across your skin. Another game. You don't know if you can do another game. Your stomach twists as a thought occurs to you: Levi technically has three more days than you do. He doesn't have to do a game tonight if he doesn't want to.

Levi's already cooked up something in the kitchen- pancakes, which smell incredibly good- and you step around him to grab a plate. "Thank you for cooking," you say, ignoring his last statement. "Do we have a schedule today? Certain direction you want to go?"

You can feel his eyes on you; you keep your focus on piling pancakes onto your plate. "You really want to do something today?" you hear him say. "Thought you'd want your sleep."

"I'm okay. I live on five hours of sleep."

"That's not healthy."

"How much sleep do you get?"

"Irrelevant."

"So you're a hypocrite, then."

"You need it more than me. You'll trip going down the stairs."

You scowl, but the topic of the game tonight has been avoided, so you're not going to argue too much. You grab the syrup- lukewarm, but better than nothing- and dunk some on your pancakes.

Levi doesn't say anything else. You sit down at one of the chairs next to your tiny kitchen table- something you didn't have before the apocalypse and instead thrifted after the city had been abandoned (borrowed, took, stole, whatever)- and, strangely enough, Levi sits down across from you. He normally doesn't do that; the two of you usually eat in separate spots.

He doesn't say anything. The two of you eat in silence, with your eyes flickering from your plate to Levi and back again.

Finally, you cave, and you say, "are you coming with me tonight?"

His eyes meet yours. "To the game."

"No, to the mall. Yes, the game."

"Yeah."