Chapter 26

Thelron knew it wasn't a good idea to keep going. He knew that the deeper he went into the forest, the more he was risking getting corrupted. He was risking Laiciel getting corrupted as well. And the last thing he wanted was for either of them to end up like those three dead boys.

But they were told that only four had gone missing. They found three. The fourth must have been the one that was corrupted and killed the others. And he didn't want to just leave the boy there. If he was still alive, Theron wanted to try to save him. He couldn't save Amara, but now that he was part Fae, maybe...just maybe there was something he could do. Perhaps the magic wasn't too strong for him to cleanse yet.

That was a big 'if', but he was willing to try.

The stronger the magic grew, the more that memories swallowed him whole. Memories of sweet Amara the moments before she was corrupted. How she had saved his life and protected him from the magic by giving herself up.

Then when he saw her standing over the mighty Queen of the Spring Court. Titania had been helpless against Amara and her dark magic. The soulless blackness that was in her eyes as she smiled at him still haunted him.

He seemed to relive every moment up to her death, with that being the worst memory of all. Even now he could still feel her gentle and needy touch, just mere seconds before she fell limp against him, and arrow in her back and blood on his hands.

He couldn't allow that to happen. Not again. If he could do anything to save the fourth boy, then he would do it.

"Thelron, I don't think it's wise to keep going," Laiciel muttered as she stuck close by him. Her arms were wrapped around her, as if she were spooked by something. He knew what she felt—the dark magic that grew stronger the further they delved into the forest.

"You can go back at any time," he told her flatly. Even if he had to do it alone, he would.

She looked at him with horror written all over her face. "You can't be serious! You've said yourself how deadly this magic is. How can you possibly face it alone?" she hissed. "What if it corrupts you?"

He gave her a side look as he said, "I am half-Faerie, son of Titania, the purest of all Fae. Corrupting me won't be so easy. Out of the two of us, I have the highest chances for survival." He wasn't entirely sure he was right. He was only guessing. But he hoped that being Titania's son and having her magic did make a difference. It was her magic that prevented her from being corrupted when she fought Amara. Unless Amara chose not to corrupt her. Then he would be fooling himself.

"I don't think you really know that. Have you even used your magic at all since it was given to you?" Laiciel pressed. She had no idea how much her words struck home.

He suddenly paused and turned to face her with a reassuring smile, trying to be as convincing as he could. "You don't have to worry about me, alright? I already know what I'm up against. I've fought it before, and I know its weaknesses." Lies. He knew Amara's weaknesses. That was the only way he was able to defeat her. The magic itself seemed unbeatable. At least, at the time it did. Maybe things did change now that he was part Fae.

He conitnued, "You don't have to come along with me if it frightens you so much. Believe me, I'm scared too. I just..." he paused as he averted his gaze, his smile faltering. He shook his head lightly, "I can't let it kill someone else. Those boys belong to a family, and three are already dead. I refuse to do nothing if there's even the slightest chance that I can help the last one."

"If he's still alive," Laiciel gave voice to his worries. "What if he's already dead, Thelron?"

That was the first time she called him by his name. He looked back at her with hard eyes and a firm tone, "Then I will bring back his body. His family deserves that much."