Chapter 23 - Didn't see That One Coming

Start from the beginning

I really did pity him actually.

He chuckled "I'm not interested in your personal life doll face."

I raised an eyebrow "Not interested enough I am guessing to share it with the world too?" All this time I had successfully managed to hide everything from my parents. I couldn't let Lance Kingsley to suddenly come and ruin everything.

He winked at me but didn't answer.

My phone decided to go off then and I looked down in my hands where Ryder's name flashed. Lance's eyes flickered to me phone too and he chuckled.

He unsupported himself from the wall and with a knowing smile he said; "You should probably get that. Your... friend may need something. Bonne nuit Chloe." He said in a perfect French accent and with a last winked he left.

  I stood frozen in my spot watching him leave, one part of me hopping Lance Kingsley wasn't the kiss and tell type and another part of me... feeling kind of intimidated by him.

An hour later my family and I finally returned from our very late night dinner. I was exhausted to go out with Ryder but didn't dare to risk it and cancel our plans. So I texted him telling him to pick me up in thirty minutes and dressed something more casual.

My parents were already fast asleep when he texted me that he was here so I had to sneak out from the window again since the door wasn't the safest option with the alarm and all.

Skillfully I climbed down the big tree that was planted on the edge of my roof and effortlessly landed in the grass on my feet. I walked to the corner of my neighborhood where Ryder had parked so my noise neighbors wouldn't suspect anything.

When I got in I was ready to say 'hi' but Ryder pressed his palm out in a 'Shh' motion. I was confused for a second but then I realized he was listening to a rock song on the radio and his full attention was on the song playing on the radio.

He started the car and began driving humming along to the song and I did nothing that would interrupt him simple because he was obviously going to kill me if I mouthed a word and took his attention from the song.

When the song was finally over I looked over him and asked; "Am I allowed to talk now?"

His eyes were focused on the road in front of us "Depends on what the next song will be."

I waited till the next song came up and when it was a pop-rap song he groaned disappointed; "Seriously? What kind of music is that? How can they play this song after the legend the R.E.M are? Unacceptable."

I laughed  "Yeah Ryder what are they thinking right?"

He turned to look at me and narrowed his eyes offended.

I decided to tease him a little more; "And if you must know I happened to like this song so..." I turned to volume louder and began singing to the song even the rapping parts in which Ryder looked at me like I had completely lost my mind.

After a while he turned it off "Enough, no more please. I can't believe you like this kind of music."

I shrugged "It's the music of our generation."

He snickered "Our generation is fucked up Chloe." He sighed "I wish I had lived in the 50's or so on"

I frowned "Why?"

"Because they were the best eras."

"How so?" I asked interested.

"Because that's when Rock and Roll first appeared Chloe."