Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

I take a bigger than usual sip of my red wine. A harmonious fusion of ripe red fruit, earthy undertones, and delicate floral aromas coats my tongue after the bitterness fades.

I've never been much a wine drinker. I'm a firm believer that wine needs to be respected. It can either go straight to head or easily be enjoyed. Depending on the consumer.

For me it depends on my situation and my current one is bleak. Disrespecting wine could lighten the mood and embarrass me – yay, fun.

"When's the wedding?" A woman asks, but I don't remove my gaze from my gold-plated cutlery reflecting the flickering orange flame of multiple candles illuminating the dining table.

"The wedding will take place after Telana has completed the internship within my company," her commanding voice does little to prevent me from nearly choking on my green bean casserole.

I drop my cutlery down on my barely touched plate of thanksgiving dinner prepared by some swanky chef missing his family. I grab my fancy-schmancy glass of wine and gulp the liquid down like the cheapest wine in a liquor store.

"Excuse you?" I ask as my gaze connects with Candice's hard stare.

"Mom," Justin says warningly, Candice's gaze softening briefly as she looks at him.

"We have discussed this in length, son."

"And I gave you, my answer. It's no, mother."

"More wine anyone?" Justin's aunt gets to her feet as Candice parts her lips with a calculated response on the tip of her tongue. The words would've been brutal. I can see it in her azure eyes as she glares at her sister.

"I'm sorry, love," Justin whispers in my ear.

I force a smile onto my lips as a tsunami of nostalgia carries me away. I miss the warmth of thanksgiving at home.

I miss my mama's turkey and stuffing. I miss daddy's creamy mashed potatoes and delicious pecan pie. I miss Tracey's homemade cranberry sauce and dinner rolls right out of the oven.

I miss sneaking out with Alec to privately celebrate another thanksgiving together. We'd slow dance under a blanket of stars in his mama's backyard and play a silly game of thumb war just like when we were kids.

I miss all the loud chatter, the boisterous laughter and the unconditional love which filled my home. I miss the jokes and the moment of silence we took in honor of Zach, Alec's father. Most of all I miss my family.

Fuck. I really wish I looked back.

Tonight, is cold in comparison with two servers topping up wine glasses of close friends and a few distant family members whether our glasses are empty or not.

Three kids under the age of ten sit quietly by the large dining table too afraid to utter a word as accomplishments get bragged about in an effort to fill the silence our encounter has left. Smug smiles line their curious faces, not a sound of laughter to be heard.

Candice is having a heated conversation with Justin's aunt. She has the same blue eyes as Candice except hers holds a welcoming warmth. I can't remember her name. Macy, Maureen. It's something with an M. M&M'S will do.

"What was she talking about?" I grit out in a harsh whisper as anger slowly begins to take a hold of me.

"Not here," he whispers into his glass with pleading eyes.

In response I raise my glass to my lips, gulping the wine down. "Excuse me," I say, scraping my chair back.

Silence befalls the table, every set of eyes following me out of the dining room as my silver Louboutin pumps click against the marble floor.