S2 Chapter 12 - Will the Wise

I woke up late last night to the phone ringing.

"Hello?" I ask deliriously.

"Y/n! It's me, Dustin." I grab my alarm clock to check the time.

"Dustin, it's 1:37 AM. I know you're not calling me about a math problem." I state tiredly.

"I found a crazy slug thing! And I'm pretty sure it's from the upside down!"

"You what?!"

***

I close my locker to find Robin leaning up against the other, scaring me.

"Jesus!" I gasp.

"What's been going on? For the last few months, you've been all weird and secretive." She narrows her eyes at me.

"I-, I can't," I stammer. "It's complicated, Robin...I'm sorry." I sigh, leaving her as I walk off to gym.

Another day, another migraine. Nothing bores me more than sitting in on these basketball matches in PE, besides the occasional side-eye from Steve. Here goes Billy again.

"King Steve. King Steve, everyone. I like it. Playing tough today. Showing off for someone in particular?" He chuckles.

"Jesus! Do you ever stop talking? Come on!" Steve shouts aggravated.

Billy laughs. "What? You afraid the coach is gonna bench you now that I'm here? Huh?"

"Can it, playgirl model!" I shout at Billy.

Steve plummets to the ground with a shove. I get up from my seat as the game ends. Billy murmurs something to Steve before walking off.

"Hey, you okay?" I extend a hand to a sweaty Steve, helping him up. He hums a quick thanks.

"Just looking at you getting shoved made my ass hurt." I joke. He doesn't seem amused by my joke and splits away from me towards the boys' locker room.

***Steve's POV

"Don't sweat it, Harrington. Today's just not your day, man," Billy says coyly. Man can't I take a shower in peace?

"Yeah. Not your week." Tommy chuckles. "You and the princess break up for one day, and she's running off with the freak's brother."

"Don't call her that..." I reply thinking of Y/n.

"Oh, shit. You don't know." He grins wider. "Jonathan and the princess skipped yesterday. Still haven't shown. But that must just be a coincidence, right?" He laughs.

"Don't take it too hard, man. A pretty boy like you had nothing to worry about. You seem pretty preoccupied with that Y/n chick, huh? But once that shit crashes and burns, there's still plenty of bitches in the sea." Billy turns off my shower nozzle. "Am I right?" I look at him through shampoo suds dripping down my face annoyed. He slaps me on the shoulder in a "supportive" way as he trots off before adding, "I'll be sure to leave you some." I stare at him livid before returning my attention to the shower, flipping it back on aggressively with soap flying everywhere.

***Y/n's POV

I met up with Dustin after school, much to Robin's dismay.

"So, you want me to meet this creature-" I say, mounting his bike on the trunk of my car.

"Dart."

"Right...Dart. And you want me to what...poke it with a stick? Tell you how cool it is? Teach it math?" I tease as we get into my car.

"I want you to help me prove he's not dangerous," Dustin adds sassily slamming my passenger door.

***

I stand in Dustin's bedroom doorway unable to concentrate on what he's rambling about, as all I can focus on are these weird lewd noises. Dustin notices it too once he realizes Dart's broken free from his glass prison.

"Dustin..." I whisper moving closer to the chair and looking at the trail of blood on the carpet. We both peer over the chair to find a mini Demogorgon munching on Mews.

"What the fuck!!!" I shout.

"Language!" I hear Mrs. Henderson call out from down the hall.

"You wanted me to prove THAT isn't dangerous!" I say exasperated. "Cleaning supplies." I stammer, turning to Dustin. "We need cleaning supplies, and a steel trap for that thing," I whisper shout.

"I take cleaning supplies." Dustin chokes back a gag.

"I don't think so, buddy. You kept that thing and now you gotta deal with the consequences of what it takes to impress a girl." I poke his chest.