Chapter 8 - The Upside Down

My car skids down the gravel driveway, coming to a hasty stop. I stumble out of the car and slam the door closed. Jonathan's car is the only one in the driveway, and the gleaming Christmas lights peek through the curtains. I approach the door and find it locked. I bang on the door.

"Guys, GUYS! Let me in, it's Y/n! I'm home! I'm safe, just like I promised!" I shout through the door. I hear the clicking of locks being undone.

"Sis, thank God," Jonathan says with relief before dragging me by the hand inside and closing the door behind us. This is when I really see what's become of our home—the bear trap on the floor, the bat filled with nails, an empty gallon of gasoline, Christmas lights drooping from the ceiling, writing sprawled on the walls, and a terrified Nancy sitting before a knife and bandages on the sofa.

"What the hell have you guys been doing?" I question, raising my voice. Jonathan fumbles over his words, Nancy speaks up.

"We're going to lure it here," she states firmly before adding, "and we're gonna kill it."

"Right," I sigh skeptically... "So what's the plan?"

Jon and Nance sit on the sofa fixing each other's dressings. I sit in Mom's favorite chair with my knees pulled to my chest, enwrapped with my arms, lost in thought. All I can think about is Will and if he's really still alive.

A loud pounding on the door brings me out of my trance.

"Jonathan!!?" A familiar voice shouts through the door. "Are you there, man? It's...it's Steve! Listen, I just want to talk!" He continues. Nancy and Jonathan exchange a puzzled look. I begin to get up from my seat before Nancy holds out an arm, gesturing for me to stop as she stands instead.

Jonathan and I watch Nancy prop open the door, holding it in place with her bandaged hand. "Steve, listen to me," she starts.

"Hey. Nancy, what-" He sounds confused.

"You need to leave," she states firmly, interrupting him.

"I'm not trying to start anything, okay?" He pleads.

"I don't care about that. You need to leave," she reaffirms.

Steve starts to stammer, "No, no, no. Listen, I messed up, okay. I messed...I messed up. Okay? Really. Please. I just want to make things right. Okay? Please. Please..." I softly smile to myself, admiring how he's attempting to make amends like I told him, and before I realize it he bursts through the door. He's stunned by what he sees, after he's done scanning the room he turns his attention to Jonathan who's now standing, and me who's still sitting in the chair.

"What is...what the..." He rambles. Jonathan grabs his shirt before firmly telling him "You need to get out of here." Pushing him towards the door.

"Whoa, What is all- Y/n, what's going on?" Steve panics.

"Listen to me. I'm not asking you, I'm telling you, get out of here!" Jonathan demands.

"What is that smell...is that...is that gasoline?!" Steve shouts. Nancy cocks the revolver aiming it at Steve. "Steve, get out!" She yells. Jonathan quickly backs away from the field of fire and I rise from my seat.

"Wait. What? What is going on?" Steve screams, his hands held in front of his body defensively.

"Steve, listen to them! You don't want to be a part of this" I shout, making eye contact with him.

"You have five seconds to get out of here." Nancy insists. Steve's panic grows ever-present.

"Okay, is this a joke? Stop. Put the gun down." He pleads.