S2 Chapter 10 - Trick or Treat Freak

Mom speeds into the kitchen as Jonathan stands by the counter. I sit at the table, munching on a waffle.

"Jonathan, Y/n?" She calls. I pause my current song on my walkman, 'Fall in Love with Me' by Earth, Wind & Fire, to hear her more clearly.

"Yeah," We answer.

"Where's Will?" She asks hastily. I raise a brow as my mouth is full of food.

"What?" Jonathan replies, turning his attention towards her.

"Where's Will?" Mom repeats.

I swallow my breakfast. "What, he's not in his room?"

"No," She states.

"Uh..." Jonathan stammers. Mom hears a faint noise and runs down the hall. The trauma we experienced will never go away...will it?

***

"3...2...1..." Jonathan counts, aiming his camera at our adorable little brother in his costume.

"Wait, hold up the photon blaster!" I suggest confidently. Mom smiles next to me.

"All right, now turn to the light." Jonathan directs.

We all grow happy just watching Will get to be a kid again.

***

I sit in the library with Robin during study hall, goofing off to no one's surprise. We silently snigger at our own shenanigans, trying to act aloof from everyone around us. I jokingly shove her towards a shelf when I notice Nancy drilling her eyes into someone who resembles Barb. I look away once Steve walks up to her.

"Trouble in paradise?" Robin teases, motioning to the private room Steve and Nancy now occupy themselves in.

"Who knows..." I mutter, thinking about what they could be talking about.

Steve does a half-sprint to the blinds nervously; he stares directly at me for a brief moment before shutting them completely.

"What was that?" Robin nudges me.

"What was what?"

"That - that stare he just sent you." She stammers. I mumble a quick 'I don't know' before returning to my work. I feel Robin's eyes analyzing me as if she's trying to solve a Rubik's cube.

I sit in the back of Jonathan's car, desperately trying not to itch at this idiotic vest I'm wearing. Thank you, Mom's closet. Jonathan anxiously taps the wheel as we drive to the Wheelers.

"I just don't get what she sees in him," Jonathan states, breaking the silence referring to Mom. I roll my eyes. Why can't he just be happy for her? Besides, he's really nice...

"What?" Will turns to him, confused.

"Bob," I answer him.

"At least he doesn't treat me differently... I mean, I can't even go trick-or-treating by myself. It's lame." Will mumbles, looking back at the road. Hey, who made an effort to match your costume? Huh? Me.

"What? You think we're lame?" Jonathan defends.

"No, but it's not like Nancy's coming to watch over Mike, you know?" If she was, that would mean Harrington would be joining, which would make the night more entertaining... Jonathan merely sighs as we pull up to the Wheeler's.

His friends wave at the car as we roll up to the curb.

"Honk the horn!" I suggest, Jonathan obliges. We park, and I quickly exit the car, not paying attention to my brothers.