20. Just Up And Leave, Then

- Alessandro Romero - 

"So, is that the whole plan? Was that the whole reason that you brought us all here? Away from all that we have ever known? Your choosing just to leave us here, somewhere we don't know?" anger filled my entire body, as I paced around the kitchen, with Leo just standing there, watching me, almost as if he was enjoying watching all of this happen in front of him. 

"I cannot believe you!" I muttered, throwing my suit jacket off of me, and onto a nearby chair. I stood, looking out at the amazing garden in front of me. "I should have known" I murmured, under my breath, finally realizing Leo's entire plan. I had thought that he was a good brother, but right now, after all of this, doing this to Chiara, was not right. 

There was something that he wasn't telling me, and he was worrying me. Like seriously worrying me. "I don't get it, Leo. I don't get it. Is that what you want to hear so that you'll finally explain why we are here? Why we are in the fucking middle of fuck knows. We had a fucking plane, but no, we had to drive 4 days here and for what? FOR WHAT?!" I shouted at my older brother. 

Never would I raise my voice at the brother that had been my sole provider my entire life, but I just couldn't stand by and watch him put his life in danger like this. I just couldn't. It wasn't just the two of us that we had to be careful of, we were looking after 6 kids, and we always had been, even some of them didn't like being called our kids. 

We had been the ones that were there through everything, and I couldn't just stand by and let Leo do this. To them. To Chiara. "For protection" his voice broke, and I had a feeling that it wasn't just protection. "Leo, we had everything there. I know that most of them won't say it, but there scared out here. Out here in Montreal. We are in fucking Canada, Leo. Canada. Not just another state in the US, but we are in a new country! Did you really think this through?!" 

Never would I have imagined that I would have driven to Montreal, from New York. I hadn't voiced my opinion to Leo when he had proposed it, as he had been so distant towards me, that I didn't want to put anymore pressure on him. But now, thinking about it, was there really any pressure there when I should have asked why we were going here. 

I was sure he could have found another place, closer to what we all knew. This was a place that mainly spoke French, and we were Italians, that rarely spoke Italian. Maybe, if I spoke in our family language, he would get the picture of just how angry and distressed I was, over how he could just bring us here, and then tell us that he needed to sort some things out, which meant leaving us all here. 

I couldn't believe that he was doing this. That he was doing this too all of us, the ones that he had saved and made sure were always put before he was. He would make sure we were all cared for, and that we had eaten, even if that meant he didn't shower for days or that he wouldn't eat that day. But here he is now, just wanting to get up and leave. 

"Leo, I know life has been hard, the hardest on you out of most of us, but please, just think this through. Think of the heartbreak of those little boys you saved that day, and now that little girl that you promised the world to. She was broken on the way here, and you leaving will make it not only worse on Chiara, but the rest of us. Just think about it" and with that, I brushed past my older brother to get lost in the mansion he bought.