December 3rd, Day Three (Noelle)

NOELLE

"Finally, a whole day off," I tell my mom on Facetime as I finish putting my mascara on in the mirror.

"You work too hard Elle," she says. She's called me that for as long as I can remember.

"It's good for me," I say.

"I can't wait to see you," she says.

Her eyes are watching me, her smile warm and loving as it always is. The kitchen timer begins to blare.

"Oh, the muffins!" she says.

Even though I'm not there I can smell them. My mind will always remember the scent of her baking in the morning.

"I'll let you go. I love you," I say.

"I love you too."

Saint: U up?

Me: Yep

Saint: meet me

Me: when?

Saint: 10 minutes enough time?

Me: Depends where

Saint: Outside

I'm hoping he's got some free time today because I have an adventure I'd love to take him on. The curtains swat to the side as I peek out the window. I don't see his car.

Me: ok

My gloss slides on my lips as I walk down the steps and to the walk outside my apartment. I tuck it back into my pocket and check to make sure I have my debit card in there as well. I'm not bringing a purse today, only my ID and bank card. It's safer that way.

I see him, his tall, muscular body cruising towards me on a bike. It's an interesting mode of transportation from a guy that has a BMW. I'd love to have one myself. It would make my life easier and my trip to work and campus quicker.

"New wheels?" I ask.

"Do you like them?' he asks me.

"That's a girl bike," I tell him. Pointing out the way the bar between his legs swoops down instead of going straight across.

"I would hope it is," he says. His leg easily lifts over the seat as he gets off.

I watch his expensive sneakers smoothly glide the kickstand to the ground.

"Tada!" he says.

Saint's arms fly open and he smiles brightly at me. It takes a minute for me to realize this is my gift.

"Saint, no. It's too much." I shake my head and take a step away.

"That's against the rules we never created. Imaginary rule number two-oh-eight. One can't deny a gift. Sorry." Saint shrugs and crosses his arms as if that settles it.

"Well rule one-oh-five clearly states it can't be more than one hundred dollars," I tell him. If he can make up rules then so can I.

"Bullshit. I would have never agreed to that," he says.

Shaking my head, I can't help but laugh. "Fine."

"I win today," he says confidently. "I can see that smile. You're happy."

Saint's fingers tuck beneath my chin and lift it so he can look into my eyes.

"Yea," I agree, partially melting under his touch, "I'm happy."