December 2nd, Day Two (Noelle)

NOELLE

The alarm hit me like a sledgehammer this morning. I've already been yelled at twice by costumers for messing up their coffee order. I've been in this city for over three years now and have come to realize I know nothing about what's out there to explore. It's probably because I barely have any free time between work and school.

"What is so important on your phone?" Evie asks as she brushes past me to grab a new milk from the fridge.

"I'm trying to figure out some places to go to that don't cost a week's pay," I say as I slide the fresh towel in her direction. She always spills so I know it's coming.

"Do you get to go with him on the adventures?" she asks.

I told her about the conversation with Saint. She is one of the many girls on campus that belong to his imaginary fan club.

"I guess it depends on what I choose for the day," I answer.

I hadn't really thought about it. I don't think either of us did. It dawned on my last night there aren't really any stakes to this bet. No prize to be won. However, we are both competitive and bragging rights seem fair enough. It will be interesting to see what his frat comes up with as far as the odds and cash prizes.

"If I were you, I would make sure I was there," she says as she spills the milk down the side of the carton and onto the counter. "Damn it."

"What's the big deal about him?" I ask. I half want it answered. I know the big deal about him. He's handsome—and not in the typical boy from your neighborhood handsome. Saint is heart-stopping attractive. The kind of face that makes people turn on the street. I've watch mothers leading their kids almost step into traffic to get another look at him. It's shameful. Sure, he has a great jawline, and big blue-green eyes that look like a lake on a sunny afternoon, but so what? It's not like he should just be given privileges because of something his parents did for him.

"You know," Evie answers, bumping her him to mine. "I've seen you look at him. You aren't that unbothered."

"He's not my type," I say.

"He's everyone's type," she counters. "But I guess I haven't seen you ever date anyone so maybe you don't even like boys."

"I like men," I correct with a smile.

"Good luck finding any of those on this campus. Maybe try the faculty lounge." Evie brushes past me again and back to the counter.

I shake off the thought of Saint and tuck my phone into the apron pocket. He probably won't even remember our conversation. I haven't heard from him yet. Evie isn't wrong. I don't date. But it's not that I don't want to, I just haven't really found the time. Also, I don't want to put any roots down in this town. The plan has always been to go back home the second I graduate. I won't let a relationship keep me here and away from my family.

As I work my way through the morning, I try not to let my thoughts drift too far into Saint's world. I need to stay focused on the hours ahead of me and will worry about the adventure when my shift is done. I'll have a few hours before my next job and in that time I'm sure I can squeeze in something fun but also meaningful.

By the time I hang my apron up, I'm exhausted. I need a nap but won't have time. It's noon and I have to be to the lot at four. I've almost forgotten about the adventure when my phone chimes with an unknown number.

Saint: Good morning

Morning? The day has been off and running for a while. It must be nice to have the luxury of lying around without responsibility.

Me: Good afternoon.

I begin the walk back to my apartment, a little annoyed already with him. It's going to be a long twenty-three days.

Saint: I should get extra bonus points for the work I put into your gift today.

My feet stop. I forgot how hard it is for me to accept items or help from people. This feels strange. What could he have possibly gotten me? I've never had a Christmas with lots of presents. For my family, it was never about that. There were even a few years where we had nothing under the tree, but my mom made sure we had what we needed all year so I never minded. That thought is like a lightbulb in my brain. I know our adventure.

Me: Great. Meet me at Walmart in thirty minutes.

Instead of going left to my apartment, I head right down the main street to Walmart. My heart is already racing, and I can't keep the smile off my face. I pull out my tips from my pants pocket. Normally I'd never count my money on the street, but I don't have a lot of time and need to make sure I can make this happen before I get there. Twenty-three dollars. Awesome. I have the cash for the adventure and a little extra for an emergency.

Saint is waiting in the parking lot by the time I get there. His hands are in his pockets and he is leaning back against his BMW. He could do so much more than we are about to do, but this is a great start. It's not about the money, it's about the adventure. I see the moment he sees me. His lips curl into a small smile he fights, and he pushes off the car to walk in my direction.

"Walmart IS always an adventure," he says. "But my gift is better so you should probably just give up now.

"Walmart is not the adventure. You really need to get out more," I tell him.

"I've got your gift in the car. Had to do some real research but I think you are going to love them," he says, rubbing his hands together.

"Adventure first," I say.

He lets out a disappointed sigh. He is a gift giver. He seems to get his joy through giving gifts to people. Perfect. I'm going to build on that and show him how to make it an experience lasting longer than five minutes.

We head into the store, the glass doors sliding open to reveal a consumers ideal Christmas shop. Every aisle has something to remind you its gift giving season. But we aren't headed there yet. I point to the large Christmas tree at the end of the store.

"Are we stealing a tree?" he asks excited.

"Are we what?" I ask.

"Well I know that tree is over the ten dollar limit and you want an adventure...so is the plan to run it out of the back of the store while you distract them or...?"
We stop in front of the tree and I hand him ten dollars. He looks down at the crumpled money and then up at the tree. It's in this moment he must realize there's more to this situation.

"Angels?" he asks.

"Yes," I tell him. "Pick one. Ten for you and ten for me."

Saint pulls the small paper from the tree and reads aloud. "Braylen. Eight. Underwear size medium and a toy. I like cars." He turns the paper over as if there is more information on the back. There isn't. Even the front is in the writing of a child.

"Let's shop for Braylen," I tell him.

A smile stretches across his face. "I win. This is a gift."

"No," I argue, pulling the paper from his hand. "This is an adventure." I point to the small stamp on the paper.

"Boys and Girls Club," he reads.

"Right down the street. I walk by it on my way to work," I tell him. "Now let's give this kid a little Christmas, Saint."