Chapter Four

It takes less than one shift for half of the hospital to look at me differently or ask me something about Thomas. A surprising amount of people admit they thought we were together months ago, and that now we've just admitted it.

People I work closer with, ask me questions about what it's like to be with him. He still has his usual firm, professional coldness about him. The only thing that's different is he'll smile at me more in the halls more if we pass each other. Or he holds my hand if we manage to stand and talk for a moment.

"Hannah, it's lunch time." Thomas says, shaking his head as I get my notebook out while eating the taco he made.

"I'm moving into your place tonight." I remind him. "That is lost study time, I have to make up that time."

"Hannah you will pass those exams, you're amazing." He says. "The stress is the only thing to worry about so take a deep breath and eat."

"I'll be less stressed if I feel prepared." I tell him.

"I'll quiz you as we eat then." He compromises. I smile and he makes up a case and we go through what we would do, what processes to go through. When to cut, when not to cut, what I would do based on what the doctor under me did beforehand. He asks me questions and honestly by the end I feel more ready.

"I'd be more comfortable if you were in my exam. I can have a conversation about this stuff no problem, but I hate exams more than anything." I sigh.

"We're lucky to be able to keep working together." Thomas says. "You know some trusts don't allow partners to work together. If I was in any way involved in the exam, it would be biased." He adds, which obviously doesn't soothe me.

"What was your exam like?" I ask him.

"I was scared. My sister helped me through. I was so stuck in my head and terrified I didn't sleep for three nights. She got me blind drunk five days before my exam and the fatigue and hangover forced me to rest. Aced the exam." He says with a small smile. "I don't think you're there yet." He smiles, making me smile too.

"Maybe I'll get pissed after the exam." I smile gently, tempted to get my notebook out. "How long does it take for the results?" I ask.

"Three weeks I think, it depends how many people are doing the exams. If there are more people doing the exams then it takes longer." He says, making me pout. "Here." He says, passing me an apple capri sun for my spirit. I smile and take it, drinking it slowly as it soothes me. "You'll be an amazing consultant, Hannah." Thomas says sincerely. I look up at him into his warm eyes and I smile, letting myself get confidence from his words.

"You know, we'll have to get a room like this in Canada." I tell him, making him smile and chuckle a little. "A little hide away so we can have lunch together if our shifts align."

"I'll ensure it. I'll start planning it now because it's definitely happening Hannah. You're passing that exam." He says simply. "That means we are getting married." He adds, making me laugh softly. He smiles and we study for a while. I'm glad my anxiety isn't too off-putting to Thomas. I'm sure there are going to be more times like this in the future. Looking at him, I can imagine us aging. We align so well; I can imagine our friendship marriage lasting. I mean, why not?

He holds my hand again as we go out to the car after work. We have to be quick, going straight to my place where the movers are already waiting. Thomas instantly rolls up his sleeves and gets my boxes in the van. I hardly carry a thing because Thomas and the others are so efficient. The van follows us to Thomas's place and once the boxes are in the flat, Thomas pays, and we lay together on the sofa.